Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

On "creating demand"

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Tue, May 19 2009 3:57 PM

I'm watching the "Making Climate Change Policy Work in Difficult Economic Times - Afternoon Plenary" held at the University of California, Berkeley.

The first speaker keeps bringing up "creating demand" for "green" and "clean" technologies and what the government can to encourage. What "creating demand" amounts to is having the government create incentives for these technologies and disincentives for other technologies (i.e. via tax policy, and so on). In other words, the market doesn't wants these technologies, therefore, its proponents want the government to coerce the markets into it. As the introducer said, we are going to have a green economy whether we like it or not.

As I'm writing this and watching the video, basically what the speakers are saying is the "green" and "clean" (from now on "glean") techonologies are not profitable. They are losing money and need more money to survive. Obviously,the market does not want to finance it, which is why the glean proponents want the government to subsidize it and force it upon the entire economy.

Also, many glean companies are leaving the country. So what to do? Protectonsim. We must invent, manufacture, install, maintain, and consume these technologies in the USA, they say. They are fighting for protectionism just as automobile industry and any other industry that favors protectionism.

The video is a good watch to see what they glean sympathizers are being fed.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, May 19 2009 4:40 PM

Maybe when Obama blesses these failed technologies and creates millions of new jobs, I just might be able to get one. 

This whole glean thing has nothing to do with science or economics, and everything to do with faith.  It is more like a religion than anything else.  Despite any evidence to the contrary, the faithful are continuing their use of the threat of government force to entice people to behave in ways they approve.  When the people refuse the faithful, the failthful, like those in the Inquisition, will turn from threats to theft and eventually murder to make people obey.

The leaders, Republicans and Democrats, love this as they can create lots of laws to force obedience to their policies and use the faithful as a cover.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, May 19 2009 4:56 PM
Tell your Briliant dumb a#@ speaker that "The market does not want to finance it" means that consumers do not want to finance it, and to we can start to really "clean" up this place by getting rid of dictators like himself.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Bogart:

Maybe when Obama blesses these failed technologies and creates millions of new jobs, I just might be able to get one. 

This whole glean thing has nothing to do with science or economics, and everything to do with faith.  It is more like a religion than anything else.  Despite any evidence to the contrary, the faithful are continuing their use of the threat of government force to entice people to behave in ways they approve.  When the people refuse the faithful, the failthful, like those in the Inquisition, will turn from threats to theft and eventually murder to make people obey.

The leaders, Republicans and Democrats, love this as they can create lots of laws to force obedience to their policies and use the faithful as a cover.

After reading "The Glory of War" by Lew Rockwell and your comment above, I would as bold to say that to be at war with Global Climate Change
"is to feel at one with something much larger than oneself, to be a part of a grand historical project. They have absorbed the civic religion from childhood ... but it mostly has no living presence in their minds until the state pushes the war button, and then all the [Global Climate Change] emotions well up within them."

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS