Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I've been "officially" labeled a terrorist.

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,350
thepaintballer45 Posted: Thu, Mar 19 2009 1:11 PM

I'm not sure what I'd do if I got pulled over and harassed for having symbolism or bumper stickers on my vehicle, but it looks like I'm bound to find out soon enough.

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2009/cbarchive_20090317.html

Righteous government, or the righteous lack thereof, is not the producer of a righteous society, it is the product of one.

You can't have my guns, but I'd be glad to give you my bullets...

• | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 140
Points 1,960

We're all terrorists now. But remember, they can do what they like to us, but they can never change our convictions, our quest for truth, our quest for freedom.

Base model cars of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but quarter-mile races.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 345
Twilight replied on Thu, Mar 19 2009 4:25 PM

I live in AZ, and got pulled over a few weeks ago.  Apparently the officer thought I was drunk.  He asked if I had any weapons (which that day I did not have) and even asked me to prove it by untucking my shirt.  Poor guy honestly thought I was going to shoot him.  Come to find out after hes done giving me a sobriety test (no, I wasn't drunk) that he was afraid I had weapons and would be hostile because of my bumper stickers.

This is not a laughing matter.  These people are being indoctrinated to believe that we are mortal hazards.  Fear always has been an excellent means of control, I suppose.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 162
Points 2,555
Shawn77 replied on Thu, Mar 19 2009 4:27 PM

I remember when I was younger reading about the Mccarthy Trials and all the communist witch hunts and thinking, I don't understand how people can believe communism would work  but why in a free country is it so wrong to publicly support it.  Freedom of speech expression etc.  It's sobering to think now to speak of the same freedom we were so afraid of losing to the communists 50 years ago inspires as much hatred on the part of the government as communism.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 33
Points 840

The New World Order WILL come crashing down!!!!!  I hope so anyways.  Its scary how easily people can be manipulated by govt and the media. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Thu, Mar 19 2009 4:57 PM

From my paranoid grey matter I predict that the Oklahoma City bombing will soon be brought to Americans' attention again to promote further efforts to thwart domestic terrorists.

Hopefully, in the long run, ideas prove more powerful than guns.

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 5,355

Soon the government will hire "suicide anti-terrorist bombers":

-Wear this belt. There are terrorists sitting in that cafe. Go overthere and push this button. Do you duty, halleluja!

It's not fascism when the government does it.

“We must spend now as an investment for the future.” - President Obama

Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,350

I was planning on putting a modified anarchy symbol on my back glass. I've been having second thoughts, though... Not really out of fear of what the police might do, but more out of a fear that it would come down to being infringed on or using force to prevent it, and I'm afraid the route that I'd take would gather little if any support. I wish I knew of another cool looking symbol that represented my beliefs. Course, by the looks of the report in the original post, it'd only be a short matter of time before it had the same negative stereotypes pinned to it.

Righteous government, or the righteous lack thereof, is not the producer of a righteous society, it is the product of one.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790
Sphairon replied on Thu, Mar 19 2009 5:08 PM

So, in the land of the free, you are now a terrorist if you support free markets (NAU, income tax, Federal Reserve), free gun ownership (gun control, The Ammunition Accountability Act) or freedom from arbitrary government rule (posse comitatus, universal service draft, RFID spying)?

We really entered Bizarro World a long time ago, didn't we.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 162
Points 2,555
Shawn77 replied on Thu, Mar 19 2009 5:09 PM

ProudCapitalist:

Soon the government will hire "suicide anti-terrorist bombers":

-Wear this belt. There are terrorists sitting in that cafe. Go overthere and push this button. Do you duty, halleluja!

I believe they are working on this very thing at aberdene.  I think maybe I saw it on future weapons.  Certainly seems like a government program

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Thu, Mar 19 2009 9:54 PM

Or perhaps something like this to help open the door:

Don't know when the above aired but note the leaders beard.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 17
Points 610
Tyler replied on Thu, Mar 19 2009 10:21 PM

I got pulled over the other day and I don't have any bumper stickers. He pulled me over just to make sure I "wasn't up to no good." I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for that...and I don't like it.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 518
Points 9,355

Tyler:

I got pulled over the other day and I don't have any bumper stickers. He pulled me over just to make sure I "wasn't up to no good." I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for that...and I don't like it.

I have 'Sic Semper Tyrannis' on the top of my cars windshield.   Everyone who notices it thinks its something related to a Greek letter fraternity; never mind it is Latin.  Ha.

But aside from that, I now avoid putting any kind of indenitifying markings on my car. An anarchy symbol is just asking for trouble.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

FreedomIsYellow:

We're all terrorists now. But remember, they can do what they like to us, but they can never change our convictions, our quest for truth, our quest for freedom.

Do you actually believe this? The reason so many people on these forums speak so passionately about anarchism or whatever is because it has little to no opportunity cost. When it comes to the state where the state seriously begins infringing "freedom of speech" (for lack of a better phrase) you'll see how many people cave.

Give it 10 years and the state and we'll be begging for the state we have now.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 518
Points 9,355

GilesStratton:

Do you actually believe this? The reason so many people on these forums speak so passionately about anarchism or whatever is because it has little to no opportunity cost. When it comes to the state where the state seriously begins infringing "freedom of speech" (for lack of a better phrase) you'll see how many people cave.

I completely agree.  Any time the state increases the tyranny, we draw our line a little further;  "Well, if it gets any worse, then I am really going to be mad!".  Most anarchists will just find new things to whine about all the way to the FEMA death camp.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 140
Points 1,960

GilesStratton:

I'm not entirely sure where you got the idea that I'm an anarchist.

I don't deny that it'll get worse - in fact I think it'll get a LOT worse, especially here in the British Isles. What I meant was that those of us who are enlightened towards the ideas of freedom are not going to give those ideas up easily.

To be sure, we'll be forced into more and more unpleasant situations, the future does not look bright for liberty at the moment and it's extremely easy to become pessimistic.

Greater challenges have been faced in the past, however. The war of ideas is not a short one - we just have to keep those ideas alive. Somehow.

Base model cars of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but quarter-mile races.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

FreedomIsYellow:
What I meant was that those of us who are enlightened towards the ideas of freedom are not going to give those ideas up easily.

So what? As far as liberty goes, ideas are worthless. And that's assuming that you'll hold them when people are being punished for such things. I imagine sooner or later that speaking against the state will become much like racism, just something that one does not do.

Bob Dylan

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 80
Points 1,095

Well, freedom fighter and terrorist are just two sides of the same coin -;)

Joke aside, this is extremely disturbing; but hiding personal opinions or refraining from expressing them publicly is not going to help improve the situation - on the contrary, it would legitimise this type of state practice and give them reasons to further expand it.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 140
Points 1,960

GilesStratton:
As far as liberty goes, ideas are worthless.

Please let the progressive Marxists know that ideas are worthless. Do you disagree with Hoppe about the use of anti-intellectual intellectuals?

GilesStratton:
I imagine sooner or later that speaking against the state will become much like racism, just something that one does not do.

A scary thought, but sadly all too realistic.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

FreedomIsYellow:
Please let the progressive Marxists know that ideas are worthless. Do you disagree with Hoppe about the use of anti-intellectual intellectuals?

Perhaps I overstated my case, it would have been more closer to the truth to say that ideas alone are worthless, which is the case.

Bob Dylan

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 140
Points 1,960

I agree, an idea in isolation in someone's mind is worthess (to the cause of liberty)

Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,350

"... but hiding personal opinions or refraining from expressing them publicly is not going to help improve the situation ..."

Hmm... I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for posting.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 75

I sensed more of a mixture of hyperbole and genuine hard-earned cynicism.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Tue, Mar 24 2009 2:16 PM

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS