Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Real Estate Outlook Next Three Years - 25% Decline

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 102
Points 2,555
reidbump Posted: Wed, Jan 23 2008 2:52 PM

I'm sure we all knew this would happen about 4 years ago.  I get so frustrated when all of the people "in the know" are so ignorant.  Austrian Economics = Common Sense.

"HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Merrill Lynch forecasts nationwide U.S. home prices could decline 25% to 30% over the next three years, as new supply and weak demand weigh on the market. "This sounds dire... but would only reverse part of the unprecedented 130% price surge from 2000 to 2006," wrote economist David Rosenberg in a research note released Wednesday. Rosenberg added the S&P 500 may decline an additional 20% to 25% to breach the 1,100-point level if the market follows historical precedents at times when the U.S. economy is in recession. End of Story "

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/merrill-lynch-says-us-nationwide/story.aspx?guid=%7B113721E5%2D3D7D%2D4938%2DB5E1%2D44401BD02AA4%7D

"Paper money has had the effect in your state that it will ever have, to ruin commerce, oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice." - George Washington
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 253
Points 4,535
Mark B. replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 3:00 PM
I would love to see a full blown recession, as that would totally collapse the real estate bubble and bring home prices back down to there 1995 levels.  A total collapse in the real estate market is PRECISELY what this country needs.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Not Ranked
Posts 369
Points 7,175
baxter replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 3:06 PM

Why do you say "real estate bubble"?

I thought the Fed doubled the money supply over the last 7 years. Ceteris paribus house prices should also have doubled.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 253
Points 4,535
Mark B. replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 3:08 PM

Here in Florida, since 1995 and until the recent downturn, home prices have at LEAST doubled in most areas, tripled in quite a few and in some locations have even quadroupled.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 3,585
Deist replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 4:15 PM

Tell me about it I live in Massachusetts were the housing market is awful, meaning homes cost way too much. Of course our over the top zoning laws (trust me they are a nightmare), union supported government building regulations, and various local property taxes certainly dont help. Overall I am saving up to buy a house as the prices inch lower and lower but I doubt it will be in this state.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS