Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

why did the banks go bankrupt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Points 5,265
inquisitiveteenager posted on Tue, May 19 2009 5:15 AM

considering bank loans are merely data into a computer, it's no real loss if a loan can't be paid back

because it was created out of thin air anyway , why do we hear in the media bnaks are reluctant to loan?

i get fractional reserve banking, i just don't get the ins and outs

if a bank can purchase a home, even an overvalued one, by creating moeny out of thin air, even if the home loses value, the bank still wins

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
Male
47 Posts
Points 985
Robert replied on Tue, May 19 2009 5:55 AM

I feel you haven't spent enough time studying the subject matter, and I think it's important to at least make an attempt to become reasonably familiar with the topics you are presenting on a forum board, before posting. Regarding fractional reserve banking I can recommend "What Has Government done to our Money?" by Murray Rothbard, which like most books, is hosted for free viewing online at mises.org.

I enjoy purchasing hard copies of all the books but it is quite beneficial to those who may not share that same desire, that mises.org offers such phenomenally informative texts online for free.

Robert

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
871 Posts
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Tue, May 19 2009 8:47 AM

Banks can create money out of thin air, but that leaves them with only a fraction of demand deposits.  For example, lets say the bank has $100 in demand deposits,and they create $90 to loan.  Unfortunately, this leaves the bank in a position to go bankrupt, if the people with demand deposits want to withdraw their money.

Banks are unwilling to make loans due to the inherent risk, and a contraction of the amount of credit.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
183 Posts
Points 3,190

Robert:
reasonably familiar with the topics you are presenting on a forum board, before posting.

Isn't "reasonably familiar" somewhat arbitrary, especially regarding teenagers, who we should be ecstatic are even asking about this stuff? Most teens wouldn't even tolerate listening to someone telling them how fractional reserve banking actually works, let alone ask about it on their own volition.

I got a response like this to a confused question of mine a few years back on the Mises Blog: almost completely turned me off from reading mises.org (this was before I discovered Rothbard, which was the ancap event horizon for me).

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS