Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Fallacy Question

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem Posted: Mon, Jun 15 2009 8:34 PM

If someone says, "Guns are dangerous, therefore you should be scared of people who carry guns."

What fallacy is that?

Because I can say, "Hands are dangerous, therefore you should be scared of people who have hands."

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,960
Saiphes replied on Mon, Jun 15 2009 9:28 PM

A lot of them I suppose.. correlation/causation? Simple prejudice?  The main distinction is this, though:

The intent of the person carrying is, to the best of our knowledge, to be prepared for unknown circumstances - a Bear or Large Cat in the woods, a robber or other aggressor, etc.  The intent of the voters in favor of confiscating guns, restricting gun ownership and restricting carrying, is to point guns vicariously at carriers and force them to disarm, and force them *not* to prepare for certain circumstances.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 687
Points 16,345

Well, in all fairness, one should be afraid of people carrying guns.  But that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Mon, Jun 15 2009 10:39 PM

Jacob Bloom:

Well, in all fairness, one should be afraid of people carrying guns.  But that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns. 

And we should be afraid of people with hand too, right?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 687
Points 16,345

Daniel:

Jacob Bloom:

You should be aware that anyone and everyone poses a certain level of danger all the time.  However, guns, by their very nature, are a more effective tool of war.  But ultimately, it still comes down to whose hand and whose gun we are concerned with because the individual plays a much larger role in the threat than the tool.  So it's not so much the guns and hands that bother me, it's the people wielding them.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 12:18 AM

Jacob Bloom:

Daniel:

Jacob Bloom:

You should be aware that anyone and everyone poses a certain level of danger all the time. 

Yes. That was the point I wasw making.

Jacob Bloom:
However, guns, by their very nature, are a more effective tool of war.  But ultimately, it still comes down to whose hand and whose gun we are concerned with because the individual plays a much larger role in the threat than the tool.  So it's not so much the guns and hands that bother me, it's the people wielding them.

Yes.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 304
Points 3,965
Solomon replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 1:20 AM

It's not so much argumentative as it is admonitory, so it can't really be called fallacious.  How "afraid" (or cautious) one should be about anything is subjective; the utterer seems to be saying that it's preferable to be cautious rather than relaxed or impulsive under certain circumstances (being around people with guns) as opposed to other circumstances (being around people with hands), reasoning that the former poses a greater risk to the assumed goal of the listener, viz. self-preservation.

Diminishing Marginal Utility - IT'S THE LAW!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 6:15 AM

Solomon:

It's not so much argumentative as it is admonitory, so it can't really be called fallacious.  How "afraid" (or cautious) one should be about anything is subjective; the utterer seems to be saying that it's preferable to be cautious rather than relaxed or impulsive under certain circumstances (being around people with guns) as opposed to other circumstances (being around people with hands), reasoning that the former poses a greater risk to the assumed goal of the listener, viz. self-preservation.

This.

Tell him he is a pussy.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 444
Points 7,395

guns aren't dangerous by a sane definition of the word dangerous.  guns are less dangerous to human life than driving.  driving is extremely safe statistically.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 9:41 AM

I personally think it is a fallacy -in my opinion it has two logical problems 1) it looks question begging because it seems to say that dangerous things (thing which provoke fear) should be feared which is a purely circular argument.  2) it looks like its an appeal to consequences or emotions because it says that guns produce bad effects so you should be affraid of them which may or may not be true but from the POV of logic is strictly incorrect. 

that's my opinion you may find better though...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

obviously guns qua guns are not dangerous. a smith&weston thats unloaded is hardly a risk to anyone. the premise is faulty

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,750
tacoface replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 9:55 AM

i dont know about that mr graham is the smithandweston heavy???

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

your right!, its supermassive!. the blackhole threatens to destroy all owned property in existance !!!!!!

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 535
sapSUCKER replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:25 AM

Note the argument relies on the faulty premise that one should be scared of all things that are dangerous.

A high voltage electric fence is dangerous, but I would never be "scared" of it.

"The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." -H.L. Mencken

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 687
Points 16,345

sapSUCKER:

Note the argument relies on the faulty premise that one should be scared of all things that are dangerous.

A high voltage electric fence is dangerous, but I would never be "scared" of it.

You wouldn't?  Well then would you be wary of it?  Careful around it?

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 535
sapSUCKER replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 12:37 PM

Of course...but "scared" means frightened, fearful, alarmed--not wary or careful.  Electric fences do not instill fear.

"The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." -H.L. Mencken

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 510

while the truth of the premise is questionable itself (resulting in a beggin the question fallacy), i'll stick to the structure of the argument. it seems to me that the appeal to fear is somewhat transparent. the main fault lies in the progression from guns being dangerous to people with guns being dangerous. one way this can be broken down is as a fallacy of composition :

- person has gun therefore --> gun = member of group (group = person's nature and things that affect their disposition)

- member = dangerous

- therefore group = dangerous

- structure--> A is part of B

A is "x" (characteristic)

Therefore, B is "x"

i'm sure that there are many more fallacies in the argument (i can spot a few more), but this is probably the most prominent in re the structure. hope this helps

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 9:11 PM

Yeah, the topic was about the structure of the fallacy and the name of it, not really about guns or people being dangerous. Very helpful. You guys are really smart, thank you all for your help.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

hashem:

Yeah, the topic was about the structure of the fallacy and the name of it, not really about guns or people being dangerous. Very helpful. You guys are really smart, thank you all for your help.

The people on this forum are only human; topics get derailed & off-topic all the time.  It's as if you've never been on a forum before :\

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

hashem:
Guns are dangerous

So are pencils, should we fear people with them too???

The argument is emotive fear mongering, and incredibly inaccurate...

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, Jun 16 2009 9:24 PM

Nitroadict:

hashem:

The people on this forum are only human; topics get derailed & off-topic all the time.  It's as if you've never been on a forum before :\

Huh? I wasn't being sarcastic. I was honestly thanking everyone for their help. I have a tendency to thank people for their help when my topic is a question. I've been using forums since we got our first internet connection when I was 14.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS