Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What's the libertarian stance on police brutality?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 985
Points 17,110
Stephen Posted: Wed, May 20 2009 8:51 PM

There's this blog on LRC here, where Bill Anderson complains about commenters approving of the police beating in Burmingham here. Of course, LRC had a different stance way back. What's the proper libertarian position?

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 168
Points 2,295

Police brutality is good because I like getting my ass beat to death.

Seriously I didn't realize there was any debate on this issue.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stephen Forde:
What's the proper libertarian position?

I want to make a smartass comment about this... but I won't.

Oh well, this is why I never endeavour to be a public intellectual.  Too many things I regret.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wow! Talk about bad reading comprehension. In that article, Lew DID NOT advocate "police brutality"; instead, he merely pointed out the correlation of... read the end of the article. And taking Lew's point to its logical extension, he is pointing the failure of the state (government) to keep us safe.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 238
Points 3,960
Cork replied on Wed, May 20 2009 9:38 PM

The article's nearly 20 years old.  Seriously.  Get a hobby.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Wed, May 20 2009 9:56 PM
Shoot the messenger eh ?

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 985
Points 17,110
Stephen replied on Wed, May 20 2009 10:07 PM

Cork:
The article's nearly 20 years old.  Seriously.  Get a hobby.

If I get a hobby, where would I find the time to write forum posts linking to 20 yo articles? Anyway, what's you're answer to the OP?

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 150
Greg replied on Thu, May 21 2009 4:40 AM

Regarding the 20 yo article by Lew - we all mature in our thinking and expression, at least we hope so.  Fortunately for me, my opinions of that same time period are not in the public record.

The real question is, "What is the proper libertarian position about state police?"  Most, not all, libertarians would say that they are opposed to such an entity.  So, at that point the question is moot, the police are only a violent criminal gang, and it follows that abuse is illegal, immoral, etc.

Those libertarians who support the existance of such an entity would clearly all the same be opposed to brutality by the same.  It is a clear violation of the principle of non-aggression.

Greg

The Holy Cause

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

Police officers are just providing a service that's been monopolized by the state, there's no reason to dislike them any more than there's reason to dislike doctors or even members of the army. If they need to be brutal in their line of work, then so be it, their brutality should be regarded as the same as that of any other citizen.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS