Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Disincorpoation: No Longer Off The Table

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict Posted: Tue, May 26 2009 9:52 PM

(from: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/05/26/governmentscollapsingintougheconomy/)

In the Wall Street Journal today, an article is published that details how cities are disincorporating as a result of the declining economy. Cities are dissolving themselves in order to escape city union contracts, among other things.

As the recession batters city budgets around the U.S., some municipalities are considering the once-unthinkable option of dissolving themselves through “disincorporation.”

Benefits of this move vary from state to state. In some cases, dissolution allows residents to escape local taxes. In others, it saves the cost of local salaries and pensions. And residents may get services more cheaply after consolidating with a county.

In Mesa, Wash., a town of 500 residents about 250 miles east of Portland, Ore., city leaders have initiated talks with county officials about the potential regional impact of disincorporating. Mesa has been hit by a combination of the recession and lawsuits that threaten its depleted coffers, leaving few choices other than disincorporation, said Robert Koch, commissioner of Franklin County, where Mesa is located.

Two California towns, Rio Vista and Vallejo, have said they may need to disincorporate to address financial difficulties; Vallejo filed for bankruptcy protection last year. Civic leaders in Mountain View, Colo., have alerted residents that they are left with few options but to disincorporate because the town can’t afford to pay salaries and services.

Incorporation brings residents a local government with the ability to raise money through taxes and bond issuances. It also gives them more control of zoning decisions and development, and usually provides for local services such as trash pickup and police as well.

On the national level, the Federal government would simply cease to exist.

You’re probably wondering that’s not possible.

Well, given the extreme financial conditions of borrowing nearly 50 cents of every dollar spent, fighting two wars, having massive entitlements like Social Security and Medicaid that cannot be funded at current levels of taxation, having government expand at unparalleled levels, and the fact that Americans are already spending nearly half their income in taxes and other compliance costs as is; perhaps the Federal government may have to disincorporate.

I wonder if this is would be a positive development; I'd imagine it would, as if people are beginning to accept disincorpoation, perhaps microsecession will eventually become a more palpable, permanent option in order to ensure we do not all have to suffer from such massive debt in the future from an abusive government.

Thoughts? 

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

That's brilliant.  On an otherwise sober day, you have brought a smile to my face.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Tue, May 26 2009 10:11 PM

All I see here is a bailout by a different name. Maybe California will return to being a Federal territory.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 253
Points 4,535
Mark B. replied on Tue, May 26 2009 11:23 PM

I live in a small, rural Pennsylvania township.  The adjoining borough has been considering dissolution for some time and merging into our township.  It has already happened elsewhere in Pennsylvania.

Another possibility is that these municalities will pursue the option that Jacksonville, Florida did a few years ago, with the entire county and all the county municipalities merging into a single unit with one government.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

The Federal Government disincorporating?

Sedition says I! House UnAmerican committee members....take this fiend away!

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS