Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Do you find this agreeable (or Freeing Yourself from Politics)

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 90
Points 2,215
RogueMerc Posted: Tue, Jan 26 2010 8:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6uQcGo60I&feature=channel

I think that the message contained is pretty consistent with the kind of people here, but he seems to include a certain doctor/congressman as part of the problem.  Does the speaker go too far?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 26 2010 10:33 AM

Ron's position:

"You may detest [inaudible] politics; I don't. I have a lot of friends who detest it and they'll only do education. ..and the others will only do court fights; which is the kind of thing that makes me nervous. But it probably is worthwile. But it has to be done however the individual is comfortable with, and.. The only thing I haven't ever considered was just packing my bags and leaving. Even when there were times when I could understand when somebody would.. But my fight is here."

and

Q: There's a possibility that people like Peter Schiff or your son Rand or Adam Kokesh will run and maybe you'll have some support.
A: Yeah, that would be nice.. if that comes along. .. If we had ten more people in Washington we would make a little bit of difference but that's not the whole thing. You need a prevailing attitude in the country that has to be changed. ..when they ask me on television "who's responsible for this?", and they want me to say "George Bush!" or "Obama is responsible!"; I say "no, Keynes". ..it's stupid economic ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKlFtxbt9o#t=4m10s

In researching meet-up groups I've noticed that it's the Libertarian Party who focuses mainly on politics whereas the Campaign For Liberty is focused much more on education. The connection between the C4L/Ron Paul and the Mises Institute is an example of this; which is why many Ron Paul supporters end up freeing themselves from politics anyway.

If you view politics purely as a way of educating people then I don't really have a problem with it, but that's not how many people do it. Peter Schiff is an example of this, who keeps asking people for donations for the promise of political change. That gives me a really bitter taste. He is already educating people and going into politics will take time and energy away from that.

Another problem is that being in politics gives the illusion that politics is the answer. Ron Paul has said (in the same video I linked) that he thinks a state-less society and voluntarism IS what he is working for. In that case he has a responsibility to not lead people into the false hope of vegetarian lions (The Constitution).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 397
Points 6,785
bearing01 replied on Tue, Jan 26 2010 10:42 AM

I watched the whole thing.  Took me a while to get my head around that he wasn't the Shamwow guy.

I didn't really get any answers or solutions to my own personal conflictions with gov't.  Every day that I read the news involving politics and/or MaoBama (I now think of him as president Zero) I personally feel the weight of gov't becoming a increasingly heavier burden.  This video gave me the idea that the solution to my problems is to just not listen to the news or politics.  Just ignore it.  Some how that will make all the problems of the day go away, and it will bring me peace and liberty.

It seems his main suggestions were to not vote and to not participate in any political conversations or to support any politician, no matter what their promise (stick & carrot) is.  Don't acknowledge the existence of the state.  Still pay your taxes and submit to the coercion of the state, but just ignore the violence they commit against you.  Try to avoid it if you can, but for that which you can't, I guess after a while you are supposed to become desensitized to the pain and it will be easier to tolerate or ignore.  His message seems to be that if everyone were to do this (ignore the existence of the state) then somehow all society would follow and we would all become free.  

I don't quite understand how digging a hole & burying your head in the sand will make the world a more free and peaceful place.  All this will do is give the state less resistance to expand and take more control of your life.  Take gun control for example.  If we did not support or have the NRA or GOA or other groups to fight for 2nd ammendment, the statists (mainly the progressives) would have disarmed the US population long ago.  If there were no guns in this country today except for those who hold a monopoly on force - police / military,  It would not surprise me that MaoBama would use totalitarian force to completely dictate the entire country and impose complete tyranny on us.  There are many politicians who put much effort in disarming this country.  Our disarmament is the final chapter before complete tyranny is imposed on us.  I believe that ownership of a tool to defend your life from violence is a natural right and that right is not granted by government.  Statists are trying everything they can to impose coercive force to disarm you.   If you do not participate in supporting and fighting for your rights as stated in the 2nd Ammendment then they will be taken from you by statists.  Then the skids to tyranny will be fully greased.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS