Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why does a lowering of the discount rate cause inflation?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
22 Posts
Points 515
Glitch posted on Wed, Jun 3 2009 7:39 AM

My insight into the matter is that banks essentially feel more liberal in there borrowing because they dont have to worry about paying the FED back high interest if they go over there reserve requirement.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Wed, Jun 3 2009 10:06 AM

The discount rate is nothing but a "valve" on one method of the credit creation process.  The interest rate between the Fed and the banks is not a real "rate" in the sense that it brigs the demand and supply into equilibrium.  The Fed has no real supply (savings) of its own, and the demand is artificially induced by the Fed's lowering of interest rates.

Instead of the Fed saying, I am willing to create this amount of more "credit out of thin air" for the banks, the Fed is talking about interest rates that in practice must be always lower then the ongoing loan rate, so that it is profitable for the bank to "borrow" for the sake of lending.  In practice, I don’t know how much new money is injected into the system by this method, in comparison to open market operations by the Fed.  I think this process is usually accompanied by open market transactions that the press usually doesn't cover.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
690 Posts
Points 11,315

Glitch:

It does not, necessarily.

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,651 Posts
Points 51,325

Remember that price is the regulator of supply and demand. A lower price means that people are willing and able to buy more of something. An interest rate is a price on credit. Credit is another form of money. Thus, when the Fed lowers the discount rate, banks are more able and most likely more willing to borrow from the Fed. This new money then circulates in the economy, causing rising prices.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
79 Posts
Points 1,160

Not to mention the pyramiding.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS