Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Republika Srpska: Another new country?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 783
Points 14,645
ryanpatgray Posted: Fri, Feb 29 2008 5:57 PM

Via the EU Observer

This news is a couple of days old but I only saw it today. I find it interesting that some of the "fears" that the secession of Kosovo would set a precedent for other secession movements may indeed have been justified. Republika Srpska, a mostly Serbian region in Bosnia-Herzegovina now wants to secede using Kosovo's secession from Serbia as precedent! Could Chechnya be far behind? Will Belgium now split in two? What about Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? What about New Hampshire for that matter?

http://euobserver.com/9/25742/?rk=1

I am an eklektarchist not an anarchist.

Educational Pamphlet Mises Group

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 2,785
BWF89 replied on Sat, Mar 1 2008 10:10 AM

Why is Bosnia/Hertz a seperate country from Serbia when 88% of their population is Serbian? And why would the Serbians in Bosnia/Hertz want to establish their own country rather than trying to join up with Serbia to be with their own kind? I always assumed the majority population in Bosnia/Hertz were Bosnians. Politics in the Balkans is confusing.

I don't necessarily support the Albanians but I would support the right of any territory to secede from the mother country. Not that it's any of our business here in America to interfere in foreign affairs. The closer the government is to the people the better the people are represented. I'd like to see though the Serbians reclaim the Northern part of Kosovo because the majority of their population is Serbian and not Albanian.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 253
Points 4,535
Mark B. replied on Sat, Mar 1 2008 11:32 AM

I can't say I have one iota of sympathy for the Serbians.  They ruled autocratically over the other nations of Yugoslavia for many years and then have the audacity to wonder why nobody wants to be associated with them.

Serbia is just getting payback for 100+ years of being ***holes to everybody else in the balkans.

I generally support all separatist movements around the world, including those arising in the United States.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS