Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Goal is Freedom.

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 299
Points 4,430
Bank Run Posted: Sun, Feb 10 2008 4:52 AM

Thymology?

I will find myself reading again Theory and History I should have purchased a hardcover.My copy is beaten after one read.

My question is ,please if you don't mind, add more reasons why the study of history ought to be more highly indoctrinated? 

I'll start, while the study of any given event can-not provide for an always perfect knowlage of a future event, because there are always causal externalities. The study of individual actors may say things about the nature and tendencies of certian end motivated actors. That is not to say the all groups of X people will always given past conditioning act in a given manor. It's fun to point out past events in relevence to present situations. The past is a warning!

Individualism Rocks

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 720
dvictr replied on Tue, Feb 12 2008 5:15 PM

Bank Run:

My question is ,please if you don't mind, add more reasons why the study of history ought to be more highly indoctrinated? 

can you re-phrase this question..

I know the value of nothing, and the price of everything
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 299
Points 4,430
Bank Run replied on Fri, Feb 15 2008 10:33 AM

O.K. What qauntitative value reasons are there for the study of history with the proper theory?

I'm going to step into Epistemological Problems of Economics

this weekend. 

Good day. 

Individualism Rocks

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 299
Points 4,430
Bank Run replied on Sat, Feb 16 2008 5:36 AM

I am so thankfull to the coolest site in the world for providing a nice companion with the daily's 1 2

I am wondering if the best way to read Mises would be from last to first? I didn't grasp the scope of the qualitative value of misesian idealism. He tears apart Compte, and Marx, Hegel, I think that there is little to be said of their postulates, are they still worth reading? That distraction does not take away from his case for freedom, but empowers it esotericly. I enjoy the way he looks at the development of ideas as steps. One guy has a impacting statement it builds thought when other guys build on thoughts given... Uhh, determinism is rank! Things wouldn't just happen folks gotta act. History is single folks acting to create events based on circumstances? 

"Economics begins at the point at which psychology leaves off." 

Individualism Rocks

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Fri, Mar 28 2008 6:52 PM

I would recommend reading Human Action from beginning to end, but I suppose it's fair to say that if one already accepts the idea of Praxeology and rejects such concepts as were held by Compte, Marx, et al, one could skip the first 80 pages or so and not really miss anything except for a well-made argument (which I enjoyed reading).

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
It doesn't hurt to read it though... Mises was an extremely learned man.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 299
Points 4,430
Bank Run replied on Sat, Mar 29 2008 6:20 AM

Public schools shure didn't learn me well. I got exasperated trying too look up words that were not there in the dictionary. Yeh, I wasted time looking up thymology learned a tiny about the thymas, however once I found Mises Made Easier, I was quite releived and enlightened. Is it in print? Ought to get a printer someday.

from link: 

Psychology. Psychology is concerned with the minds of men. It has two major meanings. The sciences of human action are not primarily concerned with the physiological meaning, sometimes known as natural or experimental psychology. Whenever Mises refers to psychology in economic studies, he has in mind what some call "literary psychology" and which he has called "Thymology" in Theory and History and The Ultimate Foundation of Economic Science. In this sense, psychology "is on the one hand an offshoot of introspection and on the other a precipitate of historical experience. It is what everybody learns from intercourse with his fellows. It is what a man knows about the way in which people value different conditions, about their wishes and desires and their plans to realize these wishes and desires. It is the knowledge of the social environment in which a man lives and acts."

It signifies the cognition of human ideas, emotions, volitions, motivations and value judgments which are an indispensable faculty of everyone. It is the specific understanding of the past which gives men an insight into the minds of other men. Psychology, like economics, starts with the individual. It concerns the internal invisible and intangible events of the mind which determine man's value scales which result or can result in action. Economics begins at the point psychology leaves off.

Here are a couple of my favorites from H.A.

XXXVIII. THE PLACE OF ECONOMICS IN LEARNING

7. Economics and Freedom

The paramount role that economic ideas play in the determination of civic affairs explains why governments, political parties, and pressure groups are intent upon restricting the freedom of economic thought. They are anxious to propagandize the "good" doctrine and to silence the voice of the "bad" doctrines. As they see it, truth has no inherent power which could make it ultimately prevail solely by virtue of its being true. In order to carry on, truth needs to be backed by violent action on the part of the police or other armed troops. In this view, the criterion of a doctrine's truth is the fact that its supporters succeeded in defeating by force of arms the champions of dissenting views. It is implied that God or some mythical agency directing the course of human affairs always bestows victory upon those fighting for the good cause. Government is from God and has the sacred duty of exterminating the heretic.

It is useless to dwell upon the contradictions and inconsistencies of this doctrine of intolerance and persecution of dissenters. Never before has the world known such a cleverly contrived system of propaganda and oppression as that instituted by contemporary governments, parties, and pressure groups. However, all these edifices will crumble like houses of cards as soon as a great ideology attacks them.

Not only in the countries ruled by barbarian and neobarbarian despots, but no less in the so-called Western democracies, the study of economics is practically outlawed today. The public discussion of economic problems ignores almost entirely all that has been said by economists in the last two hundred years. Prices, wage rates, interest rates, and profits are dealt with as if their determination were not subject to any law. Governments try to decree and to enforce maximum commodity prices and minimum wage rates. Statesmen exhort businessmen to cut down profits, to lower prices, and to raise wage rates as if these matters were dependent on the laudable intentions [p. 880] of individuals. In the treatment of international economic relations people blithely resort to the most naive fallacies of Mercantilism. Few are aware of the shortcomings of all these popular doctrines, or realize why the policies based upon them invariably spread disaster.

These are sad facts. However, there is only one way in which a man can respond to them: by never relaxing in the search for truth. [p. 881]

I and We

The Ego is the unity of the acting being. It is unquestionably given and cannot be dissolved or conjured away by any reasoning or quibbling.

The We is always the result of a summing up which puts together two or more Egos. If somebody says I, no further questioning is necessary in order to establish the meaning. The same is valid with regard to the Thou and, provided the person in view is precisely indicated, with regard to the He. But if a man says We, further information is needed to denote who the Egos are who are comprised in this We. It is always single individuals who say We; even if they say it in chorus, it yet remains an utterance of single individuals.

The We cannot act otherwise than each of them acting on his own behalf. They can either all act together in accord, or one of them may act for them all. In the latter case the cooperation of the others consists in their bringing about the situation which makes one man's action effective for them too. Only in this sense does the officer of a social entity act for the whole; the individual members of the collective body either cause or allow a single man's action to concern them too.

The endeavors of psychology to dissolve the Ego and to unmask it as an illusion are idle. The praxeological Ego is beyond any doubts. No matter what a man was and what he may become later, in the very act of choosing and acting he is an Ego.

From the pluralis logicus (and from the merely ceremonial pluralis majestaticus) we must distinguish the pluralis gloriosus. If a Canadian who never tried skating says, "We are the world's foremost ice hockey players," or if an Italian boor proudly contends, "We are the world's most eminent painters," nobody is fooled. But with reference to political and economic problems the pluralis gloriosus evolves into the pluralis imperialis and as such plays a significant role in paving the way for the acceptance of doctrines determining international economic policies.

Some good stuff I picked up were concepts like 'the unconsious mind remembers nothing', and 'no man wants to walk in the shadow of a great one'. I'm paraphrasing those, because I don't remember were I read those.

Something I wouldn't recomend to a new student is starting with a massive work like H.A. I think It'd be great to to teach a 101 with Man Economy and State. I found H.A. far more provocative than M.E.S., they are really two different types a work.  Someone ought to write Praxeology for Dummies: a Lay Man's Human Action.

I am being dishonest, I haven't finished M.E.S., does at the end of an early chapter he say 'this is all quite boring'? Does Power and Market, make it easier, or is it book two?

Individualism Rocks

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS