Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mutualism?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 60
Points 1,770
Schmitto2121 Posted: Wed, Jun 17 2009 11:22 AM

Ive been trying to do some research to understand it, but all ive really gathered is 'free-market anti capitalism', which really confuses me. Can anyone just give me a short defenition or summary to help my understanding?

Thanks

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 2:23 PM

Some people cut their wrists mere hours into attempts at understanding mutualism. If you value your time at all, listen to me and avoid mutualism like the plague. Follow sound advice and spend your time studying something worthwhile like Man, Economy, and State or The Ethics of Liberty. Thank me later. For now, run from mutualism like it's the creature from the black lagoon.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 2:47 PM

Schmitto2121:

Ive been trying to do some research to understand it, but all ive really gathered is 'free-market anti capitalism', which really confuses me. Can anyone just give me a short defenition or summary to help my understanding?

Thanks

Mutualism is a branch of anarchism that focuses on mutual aid and reciprocity.  Most mutualists today (in the US, at least) are individualist anarchists in the tradition of Benjamin Tucker.  The state is seen as enabling the historical and current "capitalist" system (that is what is meant by "free-market anti-capitalism"), through tariffs, patents, and monopolies on land, money, and transportation . They hold that the proper wage of labor is its product, and that occupancy-and-use is the best standard for property rights in land.  Otherwise, mutualists are quite similar to anarcho-capitalists and agorists.

This and this may also be of some service.

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Schmitto2121:

Thanks

In an addition to wombie's links, also try the following:

LibertarianWiki entry for Mutualism

AM's "In Defense of Mutualism" & "Demise Of Mutualism"

In The Libertarian Labyrinth's "Varieties of Mutualist History"

"What is Mutualism?" (Vanguard Press; 1927)

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS