Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

best internships in economics?

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 130
Points 2,625
gussosa Posted: Tue, Mar 18 2008 1:40 PM

My economics sensei (the older guy who gives me advices) told me I should try to get an internship in a major economics, liberty oriented, institute in the USA. I have seen a few and the best one until now seems to be the one at Mises. I know the others don't pay more than 700 or 900 USD a month (Koch and Cato, for example) which sometimes isn't even enough for rent, but I wonder if the Mises pay is enough to make some sort of living in the while.

Are there any decently paid internships at libertarian institutes/foundations that you know of? 

The other good salary I have seen is at the Ayn Rand Institute, but going into objectivist philosophy to train for a career in economics doesn't seem completely right to me.

Pity the theory which sets itself up in opposition to the mind!

Carl Von Clausewitz

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

I wouldn't have any qualms working for the ayn rand institute if ayn rand was still around...I'm not an objectivist, but since she's passed, the movement hardly seems objective to me at all, at least, from what I've read and observed of it.

My 2 cents aside, I'm afraid I've also looked into such an endevor with little to no results.  Although, The IHS (Institute for Humane Studies; http://www.theihs.org/), looked promising in terms of internships, but I'm not sure if any are specifically on economics. 

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 350
afruff23 replied on Tue, Mar 18 2008 7:37 PM

Found this liberty-minded job search in the IHS link.

EDIT: Here are the search results for all job internships in all regions using the aforementioned site.

SECOND EDIT: This internship seems to be the only choice on that website. The others are all policy-minded.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Oh wow, the deadline is the 31st and its in PA, one state above me (MD).  Hmm, this seems tempting for me to do during the summer...

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
I'm considering the ARI for next year's Summer.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

I might consider the TAS, which is nearby in D.C., if I become more interested in Rand's writings (and subsequently Objectivism) in the next year or so.  It would be funny though, if I went , to explain to my friends that it doesn't automatically make me an a**hole, lol.

As for FIRE, I'm not sure if  I could make the deadline on such short notice either, hmm...

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
I contacted TAS regarding internships but got no response yet. Anyway, here is a good place to look.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Wed, Mar 19 2008 7:14 PM

FEE might be worth looking into.  While I'm not convinced that their libertarian credentials are up to date, their summer fellows seem far more libertarian than the average attendee at their programs.  Their fellowships include room, board, and pay, as well as attendance at all summer functions.  The downside, from what I'm told, is that they're heavier on paperwork, filing, and other typical internship duties than other programs, and correspondingly lighter on research.  The research opportunity is still there, I'm sure. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS