Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

ban on light bulbs

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 235
Beaners posted on Tue, Aug 25 2009 7:17 AM

We haven't had an article about the banning on normal light bulbs in the EU starting next month, have we?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

http://blog.mises.org/archives/006593.asp

It's not quite what you're looking for, but close.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,943 Posts
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator

Beaners:

We haven't had an article about the banning on normal light bulbs in the EU starting next month, have we?

Are you planning on writing one? Smile

It's already happened down under, if that is anything to go by.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 150 Contributor
515 Posts
Points 8,495
fsk replied on Tue, Aug 25 2009 9:12 AM

I wrote a post on the incandescent light bulb ban in the US.

Bascially, the law is corporate welfare for those who own the patents for compact fluorescent light bulbs.  The patents for incandescent light bulbs have expired.

An outright ban is extreme.  I prefer incandescent, because the light is better.  They could have accomplished the same goal with an excise tax on incandescent light bulbs or a tax on electricity.

I have my own blog at FSK's Guide to Reality. Let me know if you like it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

I'm tempted to ask Reisman if he thinks that the bulb looks 'irrational' Stick out tongue

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 1:16 AM

I would like to make clear that many of us around here at one time or another received from a government entity our "free energy-saving light bulb package". When these things came out they were of course very pricey (six to ten times the price of an equivalent light bulb) so nobody bothered so manufacturers (the pack is led by Siemens, main IP holder, and Philips, main manufacturer, just to let you know) had governments buy a few millions of the things to hand them out for free. In some cities like Rome the stock was gone in a couple of days but since each household has been promised a "free" kit they had to buy a few extra millions... roll in the good times! I didn't receive my "free package" but a relative gave me his... frankly I do not see any advantages over LED lightning technology!

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS