Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Justified Wars

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 224
Points 3,785
mr_anonymous Posted: Mon, Apr 7 2008 12:50 PM

I thought of this question after reading through the "Stopping Dictators" thread.  The question is pretty simple: What if any wars fought throughout history have been justified from a libertarian viewpoint?

...And nobody has ever taught you how to live out on the street, But now you're gonna have to get used to it...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 481
Points 7,280

One of the Rothbard mp3's is titled "Two Just Wars: 1776 and 1861".

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 2,785
BWF89 replied on Mon, Apr 7 2008 6:46 PM

The American War for Independence and War for Southern Independence* are the only two wars in American history I can think of off the top of my head fought with the furtherment of liberty in mind, where no peaceful alternatives could have been effectively used, and where no bad decisions on the behalf of our government made in the past contributed to the events which lead to war**.

I'd like to say the Barbary Wars and War of 1812 were completely justified as well. But I haven't done much research on them so I can't form a solid opinion as to whether it was 100% nessessary for our government fight them.

* The Southern states could have formed their own country(s) in 1787 without the need to fight a war had they not ratified the US Constitution.

** The terrorist attacks of 9/11 would most likely not have happened if our government had not persued an interventionist foreign policy in the Middle East over the last few decades which angered many Muslims and encouraged the growth of extremist groups.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Mon, Apr 7 2008 7:51 PM

While the latter of those wars might have been justified in principle, they were still fought by unjust means - through taxation and conscription.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS