Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Which Language?

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan Posted: Fri, Sep 18 2009 7:01 PM

I plan to strive to acquire possibly only one but probably two languages in addition to my native language, English. I plan to choose which language or languages to strive to acquire as a function of the amount of 'scholarly'/'academic' material/activity which exists within the language. So, although it is probably clear at this point, this is my question: Which languages contain the most 'scholarly'/'academic' material/activity?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

I. Ryan:

I plan to strive to acquire possibly only one but probably two languages in addition to my native language, English. I plan to choose which language or languages to strive to acquire as a function of the amount of 'scholarly'/'academic' material/activity which exists within the language. So, although it is probably clear at this point, this is my question: Which languages contain the most 'scholarly'/'academic' material/activity?

Depends on what you want to study. Perhaps French for the scholastics like Turgot, or maybe German to understand the Historical school. Russian to read primary sources from the Bolsheviki, maybe Italian to learn the Merchant law. Perhaps Spanish for the Franciscan scholars. This question reminds me of the lecture by Murray Rothbard called Ideology and Theory in History where he stated that Mises once told him that European historians should know seven languages to which people began to grumble about, but like Mises said 'No one is forcing you to be a historian'

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

If I learn another language, it will be Mandarin.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Points 5,235
Seph replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 8:01 PM

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but as a second language, Mandarin is second to none, in terms of potential applications in life. 

However, if you're coming from an English background, it will quite literally take you 3-5x as long to learn Mandarin as it would a language like Spanish, German or French. 

I certainly do not regret choosing to study it. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

liberty student:

I'm hoping Korean & Japanese will be somewhat consolation languages, as I've already occasionally studied both (on & off, of course); the thought of trying to learn 3 languages at a time makes my head hurt :\ 

I suppose I could at least pick up the mini- Berlitz  travel book for Mandarin if I ever come across it, though lol.    

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 10:50 PM

I would go with Mandarin. Perhaps there were libertarian Chinese 1000 years ago.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

I know Spanish and English fluently (both as native languages).  I'm a bit older (22), so my real chance to learn a third language was really wasted, but if I had an opportunity to learn another language it would be French.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 554
Points 9,130
Praetyre replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 2:04 AM

Bevin Chu has an interesting commentary on laissez faire and/or libertarian thinkers from China: http://thechinadesk.blogspot.com/2007/09/chinese-liberalism-vs-western.html

For libertarian and classical liberal works, I would go for French and Spanish. French, for the writings of the great thinkers and revolutionaries of the time who played a major role in both the Enlightmenment and the development of classical liberal philosophy, and Spanish, for deciphering the Scholastics and others who helped contribute to early classical liberal conceptions of economy, political and otherwise.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Praetyre:

Bevin Chu has an interesting commentary on laissez faire and/or libertarian thinkers from China: http://thechinadesk.blogspot.com/2007/09/chinese-liberalism-vs-western.html

For libertarian and classical liberal works, I would go for French and Spanish. French, for the writings of the great thinkers and revolutionaries of the time who played a major role in both the Enlightmenment and the development of classical liberal philosophy, and Spanish, for deciphering the Scholastics and others who helped contribute to early classical liberal conceptions of economy, political and otherwise.

I think most of the work done by the Spanish Scholastics was in Latin and not Spanish.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Solid_Choke:
I think most of the work done by the Spanish Scholastics was in Latin and not Spanish.

MMm depends. Latin was dying out during the medieval days, breaking up into French, Spanish, German, Italian and English. Vernacular was becoming more common.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 564
Points 8,455
Paul replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 6:23 AM

Nitroadict:

liberty student:

I'm hoping Korean & Japanese will be somewhat consolation languages, as I've already occasionally studied both (on & off, of course); the thought of trying to learn 3 languages at a time makes my head hurt :\ 

I suppose I could at least pick up the mini- Berlitz  travel book for Mandarin if I ever come across it, though lol.    

Try http://chinesepod.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

French, German, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin and for academic purposes Latin. Any of these is good.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 178
Points 2,260
BioTube replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 7:51 AM

I'm pretty sure you meant Latin was being replaced in scholarly works by the native tongues of the scholars, Laughing Man, but the way you word it makes it sound like you're claiming Latin was in common use and somehow gave birth to English and German(although I wouldn't reject the idea that modern English is a romance language, considering how much of it does trace back to Latin).

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 5,255
Saan replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 1:29 PM

German is good for logic.  It's the only other language I know.  I learned much from learning it.

Criminals, there ought to be a law.

Criminals there ought to be a whole lot more.   Bon Scott.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 2:15 PM

Scholarly work aside. Learning spanish will give you language access to an extremely large percentage of the planet earth. Covering almost the entire latin america region and parts of europe. From spanish you can branch off to Italian, filipino, and various other languages across the world. Between knowing English and Spanish you can practically be capable of speaking almost across half the known globe. So if you like the idea of travel, your options would be further expanded to you.

Thats my imo and I am generalizing for the most part on the geography. 

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 660

As for the present day - you are a very lucky man! English is the language of the science.

If you must... I would probably choose Russian, but thinking of the future - Spanish has remarkable potential.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

Portuguese.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

GilesStratton:

Portuguese.

Brazilian Portuguese or Portuguese Portuguese?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 6:26 PM

GilesStratton:

Portuguese.

Why?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525
BioTube:

I'm pretty sure you meant Latin was being replaced in scholarly works by the native tongues of the scholars, Laughing Man, but the way you word it makes it sound like you're claiming Latin was in common use and somehow gave birth to English and German(although I wouldn't reject the idea that modern English is a romance language, considering how much of it does trace back to Latin).

I've studied linguistics a bit as a hobby, and let me say that English barely resembles a Romance language. It takes a lot more than shared vocabulary. I think this is a good thing, though, because I'm personally more inclined to Germanic languages than Romance languages. :-P

Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both.Ludwig von Mises

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

I believe it was Voltaire who said

'German is the language of slaves and horses'

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Laughing Man:

I believe it was Voltaire who said

'German is the language of slaves and horses'

That reminds me of this:

Charles V:

"I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse".

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 5,255
Saan replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 9:40 AM

Ihr  beide seid pferden.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 9:59 AM

That which is more hilarious. I think jap is cuter. I learned german.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 5,255
Saan replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 10:02 AM

You gotta love the voice actors.  Ever heard Mr. T?  Pretty funny.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 11:14 AM

scineram:

That which is more hilarious. I think jap is cuter. I learned german.

I think japanese has more intensity.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 2:52 PM

German, French, Ancient Greek/Latin (of the two I would choose Greek), maybe Mandarin or Arabic.  If I had to pick two: German and Ancient Greek (assuming you don't mind studying a dead language)

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 6,045

Daniel:

GilesStratton:

Portuguese.

Any difference between the two?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 9:28 AM

Daniel:

GilesStratton:

Portuguese.

The one spoken by 190 millions and one of the most promising economies or the one of a very tiny country with weird accent? 

Im biased, I admit. Stick out tongue

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 9:32 AM

ivanfoofoo:

Daniel:

GilesStratton:

Portuguese.

Yes, specially when it comes to slangs and other day by daystuff. Also the accent, european portuguese has very strong consonants and very short vowels in general, here in Brazil our vowels are more distinctive. Also the portuguese are more formal about the 2nd person, here 2nd and 3rd person are often mixed (but not confused). Also we brazilians are more open to foreign words, while in Portugal they like to translate almost everything, even if it sounds awkward.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Vitor:

ivanfoofoo:

Daniel:

GilesStratton:

Portuguese.

Yes, specially when it comes to slangs and other day by daystuff. Also the accent, european portuguese has very strong consonants and very short vowels in general, here in Brazil our vowels are more distinctive. Also the portuguese are more formal about the 2nd person, here 2nd and 3rd person are often mixed (but not confused). Also we brazilians are more open to foreign words, while in Portugal they like to translate almost everything, even if it sounds awkward.

This. It's like the difference between American English and British English, or Mexican Spanish and Spanish Spanish.

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS