Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Proper Education

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 210
Artur replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 9:32 AM

Is "standard" a new euphemism for "paid with stolen money"?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 9:46 AM

greenfroguser5:
No nation can prosper without proper education.
Are you saying there's profit to be had by educators?

greenfroguser5:
Hence the education system should be standard.
Experimenting in markets is the key to discovering what works best. Even if entrepreneurs are idiots trial and error can still show us the way. But regardless of state doctrine, I'm pretty sure there won't be schools pushing that 2+2=5.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 98
Points 2,205

This "standardized" education has been the direction we have been heading in since the late 1800's and look at what it has done to kids. Private and home schooled students stand head and shoulders above their public school counterparts.

A nationalized public education system is extremely dangerous and destructive since it only seeks to shape and mold students into a form pleasing and advantageous to the state. How can we actually believe we live in a free society under this system? Were the great western philosophers and the founders of America raised up in a state controlled education system? Of course not!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 12:38 PM

I love what Mises wrote about this in Human Action, because it's so praxeologically true -the innovators of society don't rely on schooling in mainstream ideas, but it is only in as much as they depart from these ideas that they are innovators.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Ironically, you didn't add blank spaces after your periods.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 767
Points 11,240

No nation can prosper without proper education

"Never let school interfere with your education" - Mark Twain.

I wouldn't call arbitrarily forcing people of certain ages to attend socialized priso- I mean day-care centers "educational". 

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS