Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

von Mises during WWI

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko Posted: Sat, Oct 24 2009 8:06 PM

Does anybody know what front(s) did he serve on, and was he mobilised to the army or did he volunteer?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370
abskebabs replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:04 PM

He served on the Eastern front, though for Austria, this was the northern front. I believe he was mobillised, but for all this and much more just see Hulsmann's biograpy of Mises.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 318
Points 4,560
Wanderer replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:44 PM

Interesting.  I didn't know he was a soldier.  Thank the gods he wasn't killed...

Periodically the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots.

Thomas Jefferson

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 10:15 PM

Do you think this might play into why he was for Conscription?

Kind of an emotional / congnitive dissonance he would have overcome. Affected by the propaganda?

He was forced to serve, right? Or did he volunteer.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 10:16 PM

abskebabs:

He served on the Eastern front, though for Austria, this was the northern front. I believe he was mobillised, but for all this and much more just see Hulsmann's biograpy of Mises.

Yes, I see that part is avaliable on google book preview. A nice read, though I had an eyebrow raising moment reading the sentance: "And on the front, treason showed its ugly face when, on April 3 and 4, 1915, the infantry regiment no.28 from Prague was captured without resistance." [page 265] I really do not see the need to speak in negative terms of understandable tendancy of valiant Czechs to prefer Russian captivity or service in the Czech Legions to serving as cannon fodder for their oppresors.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 10:25 PM

Conza88:

Do you think this might play into why he was for Conscription?

Kind of an emotional / congnitive dissonance he would have overcome. Affected by the propaganda?

He was forced to serve, right? Or did he volunteer.

He was a reserve officer and was so called up. But he did volunteer to become a reserve officer and passed the course for it in his youth.

Anyway it is not surprising. AJP Taylor called Austrian Jews "the only real Austrians". They were very patriotic (after the emancipation).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS