Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Legal research topics?

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit Posted: Wed, Oct 21 2009 7:25 PM

As part of my law degree (in Australia) I have the option of taking a year-long research subject where I get to choose my topic.

Are there any legal theory or law related topics that are worth exploring from a libertarian perspective? I have to produce a 10,000 word paper.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

IP.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 985
Points 17,110
Stephen replied on Wed, Oct 21 2009 8:17 PM

Why not email Stephan Kinsella? I'm sure he'd be happy to suggest a good one.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

In Knowledge, Calculation, Conflict, and Law, Stephan Kinsella writes:

"One question that bears exploring in this regard is exactly how libertarian are the abstract principles of justice that have been followed throughout the ages by judges and jurists of the common law, Roman law, and Law Merchant?  In other words, just how libertarian are the legal precepts actually developed historically, and just how strong is the presumption of legitimacy which is to be accorded to these extant bodies of law?  Which concepts of the common law are illiberal enough, when compared to Barnett's carefully-developed abstract principles of justice, to overcome the presumption of legitimacy?  And how did the common law happen to employ more or less correct abstract principles of justice even before modern libertarian theory?  Are these principles intuitive?  Was it luck?  Natural selection?  Barnett does not answer these questions, but cannot be criticized for not doing everything.  Libertarian law students and scholars looking for topics to research, pay heed!"  [Emphasis added]

I'd personally love to see a paper on this topic, because it's something I've been wondering about for a while now.  I may even embark on such a project myself.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Yeah, I would email Kinsella even if you already have a topic.  He might be able to point you in some interesting directions once you have decided.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

How about a history of 'victimless crimes' with a libertarian spin.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 318
Points 4,560
Wanderer replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 10:25 PM

What about intellectual property/copyrights?  Or seasteading/ownership of bodies of water?  Utilities monopolies?

Periodically the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS