Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Missing Audio from the ASC

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420
E. R. Olovetto Posted: Sun, Mar 14 2010 12:50 PM

The problem could be more widespread than just the "Practicing Law in Light of Rothbard" panel at the ASC I tried to listen to.

Hoppe

Forbush

Barr

Iglody

Huebert

These are all cut off by about a minute. I assume that these are just parts of a master track of the whole event, so it ought to be easy to fix.

edit: It looks like

Boykin

Wendt

Coleman

are cut off too.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370
abskebabs replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:49 PM

I get the same problem when trying to listen to silverlight versions of everything on this website. Try just viewing or downloading the original mp3 file.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

abskebabs:

I get the same problem when trying to listen to silverlight versions of everything on this website. Try just viewing or downloading the original mp3 file.

OK, downloading the MP3 fixed it, but that is kind of annoying and unnecessarily bloats my HD. The non-silverlight version was cut off as well. I had to either disable quicktime in FF or use DownloadThemAll to be able to even save them. For some reason the audio plays in QT but I just see a black bar where the navigation should be. There has to be a million other Flash MP3 players out there that don't cut off files.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 300
Points 5,325

How come most of the videos were taken off ustream?

http://www.ustream.tv/user/mises/videos

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Tue, Mar 16 2010 1:04 PM

Thanks for letting me know.

I have updated the version of the flash mp3 player (Silverlight is not used for mp3's) on Mises.org.  Clear your browser cache to get it.  I am using Chrome on OS X, and when I click on the download link below the player, it takes me to Chrome's built-in player, which does not cut off the video.  Other browsers should have similar functionality.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

HeroicLife:

Thanks for letting me know.

I have updated the version of the flash mp3 player (Silverlight is not used for mp3's) on Mises.org.  Clear your browser cache to get it.  I am using Chrome on OS X, and when I click on the download link below the player, it takes me to Chrome's built-in player, which does not cut off the video.  Other browsers should have similar functionality.

No problem. The files played fine now for me in FF, which is all I really care about. Maybe this is a problem with my system, but the files still are messed up when I right click to download with quicktime. I guess I can see if this is the same with files on some other site. Anyhow, I would expect with the right click to get a windows popup to save file as...

I tried Chrome in Win7 and the right click version played fine in the browser player. Still the regular html page's player was messed up for me. The file played but was unnavigable and the grey bar of the timeline extends to the left edge of the screen.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The audio through the HTML5 player sounds much better than the audio coming from the Silverlight player.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Tue, Mar 16 2010 1:49 PM

We are not using Silverlight or HTML5 for audio.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

HeroicLife:

We are not using Silverlight or HTML5 for audio.

Oops! It's a flash player, not Silverlight. My bad. On Chrome, when I click left-click on "Right-click here to download the recording", Chrome uses the HTML5 player to play the file.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS