Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Homeless in Hawaii?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:09 AM

Are there homeless people in Hawaii?

If you were going to be homeless, would it be better to be homless in a beautiful place?  Are there alot of fruit trees all over Hawaii that you can freely pick?  Coconuts, pineapples, etc?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

The homeless have it way way better in New York City as far as food is concerned. The Supermarkets dump all the food whose expiration date has expired, mountains of the stuff every single day. All of it is still in perfect condition. One can live like a king, literally.

Of course, you need a place to sleep, and somewhere to be out of the cold half the year.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 760
Maynard replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:12 AM

I had a friend who grew up in Hawai'i and I once jokingly said I was going to move there and just be a bum. He said a lot of people do that.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

When you get past all of society's negative outlooks, being a hobo really is freedom, an adventure. It's harsh at some times, but it seems like overall it would be a perspective-changing experience.

And hey, Hawaii doesn't sound like such a bad place to do that. Or any place in the Caribbean, for that matter.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:38 AM

I have friends who have been traveling/train hopping for years, and they love it.  What they find so hard is leaving that adventure, that you can be in a new place everyday or week.

Are there homeless in Hawaii?  Sure, and it's easy.  Take a look at surf and body boarding culture, and the people who fly over there and live on the beach for some weeks or months.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:34 AM

When you get past all of society's negative outlooks, being a hobo really is freedom, an adventure. It's harsh at some times, but it seems like overall it would be a perspective-changing experience.

Oh?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Wheylous

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 760
Maynard replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:56 PM

Bert:

Take a look at surf and body boarding culture, and the people who fly over there and live on the beach for some weeks or months.

This same type of culture can be found in Jackson Hole during the winter (6 months per year). The ski/snowboard bums aren't homeless for the most part, but they live 20 people to an apartment to make it cheap enough to spend their meager savings on skiing or snowboarding and nothing else.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

limitgov:

Are there homeless people in Hawaii?

If you were going to be homeless, would it be better to be homless in a beautiful place?  Are there alot of fruit trees all over Hawaii that you can freely pick?  Coconuts, pineapples, etc?

After watching a few seasons of Dog the Bounty Hunter, I can conclusively say that, yes, there are homeless people in Hawaii.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 3:25 PM

I meant I doubt being a hobo is fun.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

Oh yeah, plenty of hobos. Not a lot of free standing fruit, though. California is probably a better place for the homeless, and I think demographics back that up.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 9
Points 130
Axiomatic replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:20 PM

I've known a few friends who've lived there and they mentioned a lot of the homeless sleep on the beach due to the moderate weather. Not sure about the fruit but there's always fish...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS