Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Connecticut Secession

rated by 0 users
This post has 0 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2010 11:13 PM

I'm from Connecticut and I believe that it ought to secede from the Union. Here are a couple practical reasons.  These arguments are based on the premise that there will be a government;  the benefits of a truly voluntary society are acknowledged by I wanted to approach this argument based on the assumption that government would exist during the secession phase.

The feds are a drain on the state:  We rank alongside New Jersey when it comes to getting our tax dollars back.   Ignoring the immorality of taxation issue we only get back around  75 cents.   In short we put more into the federal government than we get out.

Our economy is largely focused on financial services and import-export.  There are quite a few foreign companies operating and trading within Connecticut; the ability to set our own tariff rate at an absolute minimum and to get out of the framework of financial service killing regulation like Sarbanes Oxley would be more easily achieved through secession then by begging the feds to do it.  Same goes with the insurance industry, or any other industry for that matter.

Our defense needs do not justify the current tax dollars we spend on national defense.  We have no borders with any aggressive country, other than perhaps the US should they decide to squash any possible secession movement,  and we already have the facilities to  produce subs, helicopters, and guns. 

Our state government already has experience in foreign affairs.  Connecticut, along with the other New England states, participates in regional meetings with Premiers of the Eastern Canadian Provinces on a regular basis to discuss transborder issues.   The structure for a Foreign Ministry is already there.

What are some other concrete reasons to secede?  i.e. bread and butter reasons.

Why, other than perhaps back around 1812-1815, haven't such movements been popular in Connecticut? Doesn't Connecticut have a better reason to secede than a good chunk of Southern and Western states which tend to be net recipients of federal tax dollars?

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS