Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Friedman on interest rates

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
228 Posts
Points 4,820
pentahedron posted on Fri, Dec 3 2010 6:09 PM

After the U.S. experience during the Great Depression, and after inflation and rising interest rates in the 1970s and disinflation and falling interest rates in the 1980s, I thought the fallacy of identifying tight money with high interest rates and easy money with low interest rates was dead. Apparently, old fallacies never die.

Milton Friedman,1997

What do you guys think of his comment and do you agree/disagree?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

well we first need to understand what is Milton referring to by 'high' and 'low' and 'tight' and 'easy', best get that out of the way first.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
19 Posts
Points 305

What is the relationship between low interest rates and easy money in today's economy?

Being unadvisable and being unlibertarian are two entirely different things. - cporter

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

what do you mean by 'low' and 'easy' ?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Not Ranked
Male
19 Posts
Points 305

By "low" I mean artificially under the market's rate. And by "easy" I mean that banks do not have a difficult time obtaining cash from the central bank.

Being unadvisable and being unlibertarian are two entirely different things. - cporter

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

ok this is on its way. but I'm signing off for the night, see you tomorrow.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
266 Posts
Points 4,465

I love Friedman but it's necessary to point out that real interest rates are the key.  In the 1970s the Fed Funds rate was high in nominal terms but very low in real terms.  The real rate was negative from the 1974-IV to 1977-IV and dipped as low as -4.8%, the Fed Funds rate being 6.3% while price inflation was at 11.1%.  In 1978 and 1979 the real interest rate was never greater than 1%, so it was still very low.  Compare this to the 1960s when the real interest rate was below 1% in only 5 out of 40 quarters.  It was almost always 1%-3%.

In the fourth quarter of 1980 the Fed Funds rate soared above inflation and was anywhere from 3%-8% until 1987 and business flourished.

So yes, Friedman talks of interest rates and inflation but he fails to combine them and therefore fails to see the truth.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS