Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Libertarian China

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Points 6,535
Voievod Posted: Tue, Apr 29 2008 3:09 PM

Consider Commie China will become Libertarian China overnight. What would be done to prevent overpopulation seeing the 2-children-per-family rule can't be enforced anymore?

Mention anything else you can think of regarding the effects of Libertarianism on China :)

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Tue, Apr 29 2008 3:23 PM

xSFx:
What would be done to prevent overpopulation seeing the 2-children-per-family rule can't be enforced anymore?

There is no such thing as overpopulation.

Under communism there was an under production of food, which led the government to introduce the ultimate form of rationing. The population of China, and the world, will continue to grow.

Peace

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

I tend to think that there's an optimal population level which is whatever is sustainable by a free economy.

"Overpopulation" can be a problem to the extent that a population is above the optimal level of sustainability, however the problem naturally solves itself over time as either (1) the excess people start to die off or (2) the availability of resources is expanded so that the bar of sustainability is raised. So if one thinks about it this way, the problem isn't that there's too much people so much as the fact that there is an undersupply of resources, as JonBostwick points out.

I'm opposed to deliberate attempts at population control (although I'm "pro-choice" on the abortion issue). I think that instead, emphasis should be placed on freeing economies and increasing access to resources. Don't just go around killing people, give them a reason to live (I.E. a decent living standard that is sustainable).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Points 6,535
Voievod replied on Tue, Apr 29 2008 3:30 PM

Let's think of Libertarian China during the mongol invasions and there's no Great Wall yet.

How would it deal with the threat? :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto replied on Tue, Apr 29 2008 3:34 PM

xSFx:

Let's think of Libertarian China during the mongol invasions and there's no Great Wall yet.

PDAs

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Tue, Apr 29 2008 3:34 PM

xSFx:

A population of free men do not need a government to protect them. Government's purposefully disarm populations to force dependence on the State.

Free nations have little fear of being conquered.

Peace

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS