Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Door hangers

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw Posted: Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:41 AM

First of all, is there a section to post marketing ideas?  If so, please move this thread to the appropriate section. 

Second of all, I would be willing to buy door hangers to distribute to my neighborhood.  For example: http://www.doorhangers.com/index.shtml  Is there someone at mises.org willing to design one?  I was thinking about something along the lines that would let people know there are different schools of thought about economics, that Austrian economics is of course one of them, and that if they wanted to find out more about Austrian economics, to go to Mises.org.  If Mises.org would put them in the store for us to buy and distribute, I would love to do that.  The website has a default template that can be used.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 74
Points 1,375
phrizek replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 12:17 PM

Oh Jeez, I really hate those things. I don't think they would be helpful for spreading AE either. They might be useful for selling pizza, but I think the common person would be perplexed to find a door hanger advertising an economic school of thought. That, and I don't condone trespassing on the property of others in order to hang them up.

I think a better approach would be to advertise our existence to those who would be most receptive to our ideas. For instance, find a local university and place copies of Economic Science and the Austrian Method in all of the philosophy professor's mailboxes (or at least the ones who teach classes on epistemology). That should make them curious.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 12:25 PM

phrizek:

Oh Jeez, I really hate those things. I don't think they would be helpful for spreading AE either. They might be useful for selling pizza, but I think the common person would be perplexed to find a door hanger advertising an economic school of thought. That, and I don't condone trespassing on the property of others in order to hang them up.

I think a better approach would be to advertise our existence to those who would be most receptive to our ideas. For instance, find a local university and place copies of Economic Science and the Austrian Method in all of the philosophy professor's mailboxes (or at least the ones who teach classes on epistemology). That should make them curious.

If you want to start a new thread about different marketing ideas, feel free.  Please don't hijack mine.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 74
Points 1,375
phrizek replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 12:42 PM

Spideynw:

phrizek:

If you want to start a new thread about different marketing ideas, feel free.  Please don't hijack mine.

I didn't know offering a (relevant) suggestion is considered hijacking your thread.

By the way, there's already a thread for this sort of thing.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 1:02 PM

phrizek:
I didn't know offering a (relevant) suggestion is considered hijacking your thread.

First of all, I did not ask what people thought of my idea.  Second of all, I did not ask if people had any other marketing ideas.  As such, the post was not relevant.

phrizek:
By the way, there's already a thread for this sort of thing.

Thank you.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:17 PM

OK, so this is what I am thinking of putting on my door hangers:

Do you think taxation without representation is wrong?  If so, are you paying taxes?  If so, why?  Is an elected official a representative?  Yes and no.  An elected official is only representative of those that voted for him or her.  How can someone represent people that did not vote for the elected official?  The clear answer is the elected official cannot represent those that did not vote for him or her.  As such, we should not have to pay taxes if we voted for someone else, or did not vote.  To free your mind and learn more about the truth, please visit www.mises.org, www.fee.org, and lewrockwell.com.

What do you all think?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:31 PM

Spideynw:
An elected official is only representative of those that voted for him or her.

He's not necessarily their representative either.  No choice was ever present for refusing either of the candidates.  If you had not voted for either candidate, a "representative" is still forced upon you by your fellow neighbors.  Most people simply vote for the less of the two evils.

How can he be a representative if the very essence of the service of representation is not subject to voluntary consent?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:15 PM

Try posting this on mainstream Internet forums, see the reactions, modify as appropriate. It would only a take a few hours on a place like reddit.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 7:19 PM

AJ:

Try posting this on mainstream Internet forums, see the reactions, modify as appropriate. It would only a take a few hours on a place like reddit.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS