Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

John Spargo's "The Bitter Cry of Children"

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
24 Posts
Points 390
Helmuth Hubener posted on Wed, Jan 27 2010 3:25 AM

Has anyone refuted this muckraker John Spargo's anti-child-labor book "The Bitter Cry of Children"? More modern historians have a more positive view of the Industrial Revolution, yes? The Blue Books of England have been refuted as wild horror stories. I'm sure Spargo's American stories are the same thing, but is there any professional historian who has exposed this as an unreliable source? What books or dissertations should I read?

Here's an excerpt: "Work in the coal breakers is exceedingly hard and dangerous. Crouched over the chutes, the boys sit hour after hour, picking out the pieces of slate and other refuse from the coal as it rushes past to the washers. From the cramped position they have to assume, most of them become more or less deformed and bent-backed like old men. When a boy has been working for some time and begins to get round-shouldered, his fellows say that “He’s got his boy to carry round wherever he goes.” The coal is hard, and accidents to the hands, such as cut, broken, or crushed fingers, are common among the boys. Sometimes there is a worse accident: a terrified shriek is heard, and a boy is mangled and torn in the machinery, or disappears in the chute to be picked out later smothered and dead. Clouds of dust fill the breakers and are inhaled by the boys, laying the foundations for asthma and miners' consumption. I once stood in a breaker for half an hour and tried to do the work a twelve-year-old boy was doing day after day, for ten hours at a stretch, for sixty cents a day. The gloom of the breaker appalled me. Outside the sun shone brightly, the air was pellucid [clear], and the birds sang in chorus with the trees and the rivers. Within the breaker there was blackness, clouds of deadly dust enfolded everything, the harsh, grinding roar of the machinery and the ceaseless rushing of coal through the chutes filled the ears. I tried to pick out the pieces of slate from the hurrying stream of coal, often missing them; my hands were bruised and cut in a few minutes; I was covered from head to foot with coal dust, and for many hours afterwards I was expectorating some of the small particles of anthracite I had swallowed." John Spargo, The Bitter Cry of Children 1906. I want to be able to say: "That's false/exaggerated and here's why..."

• | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Not Ranked
24 Posts
Points 390

Buehler? Buehler? Anyone knowledgable on turn-of-the-century muckraking?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS