Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Working for the government?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990
Libertyandlife Posted: Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:47 PM

Is working for the government contradictory to a libertarian's goals or values, and what type of government job would it have to be if not all? Is there any defense for at all?

Edit: What about working in the field of international politics?

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800

Since a libertarian must think they're getting paid with stolen money, I can't imagine how they'd rationalize this one.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I'm to go change the original post.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 10:08 PM

bloomj31:

Since a libertarian must think they're getting paid with stolen money, I can't imagine how they'd rationalize this one.

Easy, one foot outside your house and you've already stepped on stolen property.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 10:13 PM

DD5:

Easy, one foot outside your house and you've already stepped on stolen property.

So basically it's not a big deal all things considered?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

"Just follow your heart, that's what I always do" - Napoleon Dynamite

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095

Libertyandlife:
Is working for the government contradictory to a libertarian's goals

I don't think so, you could use the money to fund libertarian projects as well as keeping yourself alive.

Libertyandlife:
or values

Probably.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635

Libertyandlife:

Working for the government?

You mean income tax? Ya, I hate it too.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 31
Points 710

It's certainly a good way to get an insight as to just how pervasive government can be in terms of its backwardness. I volunteer at a public library every week, and the building I go to is a complete mess. Half the collection is crumbling to dust on the shelves, even as our management puts out brand new books as discard to be had by the first comer. The collections themselves are also in miserable shape. I work primarily in the young adult department, which we might as well rename the teenage girl department because there's pretty much no material I would expect any boy in the age group to consider worth reading. If that wasn't bad enough, our large print collection consists 99.9% of wild west set pieces simply because one of the library directors likes westerns and can't be bothered to pay for his own collection.

I have a friend who works as a park ranger. Every few months his employers waste time and resources double and triple checking his qualifications because they set the quota for how much retraining their employees need at their own whims. Even he knows its a massive waste of time, but its the only way he'll keep his job. All this diversion of course, must necessarily equate to less overall resources to put towards the actual job of tending to the parks.

If you ever need a good story to explain just how bad government is at anything, all you have to do is get a job with them. The shortcomings are instantly apparent.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 377
Points 7,180
Ansury replied on Wed, Feb 3 2010 10:43 AM

There is also the argument that gaining influence within the government, you can combat waste and such, although it's going to be quite an uphill battle.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS