Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Did Christ sin by cleansing the temple?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 15
Points 495
ErikMalin Posted: Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:11 PM

John 2:13-16

13 ¶ And the Jews’ passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 

14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of amoney sitting:

15 And when he had made a ascourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changersmoney, and overthrew the tables;

16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.

So did Christ sin by abridging the property rights of the merchants and money-changers? Christ did not physically own the building because in verse 20 it says that "Forty and six years was this atemple in building." I believe Christ was in his 30's at this time. If he didn't like it he should have pleaded with the  property owners. If they didn't want to kick them out then too bad. It seems like a bad example concerning property rights was set here. To me that seems sinful.

BTW I'm a Christian.
"I hate government as much as government hates freedom, and that's a lot." - Mike Malin "It is the duty of every Patriot to protect his country from his government." - Patrick Henry
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 3,585
Deist replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:22 PM

I think, though I might be wrong, that those money collectors in the temple were quasi state, quasi private. The temple was a government building and a government bank. As far as the merchants go they are no different then the corporations that rely on making wealth by buying government bonds and government debt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

ErikMalin:

John 2:13-16

13 ¶ And the Jews’ passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 

14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of amoney sitting:

15 And when he had made a ascourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changersmoney, and overthrew the tables;

16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.

So did Christ sin by abridging the property rights of the merchants and money-changers? Christ did not physically own the building because in verse 20 it says that "Forty and six years was this atemple in building." I believe Christ was in his 30's at this time. If he didn't like it he should have pleaded with the  property owners. If they didn't want to kick them out then too bad. It seems like a bad example concerning property rights was set here. To me that seems sinful.

BTW I'm a Christian.

Firstly if Christ is God then there is no problem. Secondly the temple would have run on a sort of restricted covenant agreement- the mosaic law- which described what could and could not happen in the temple. If this was violated then Jesus could legitimately turned them out. 

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 212
Points 3,430
Twirlcan replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 9:00 PM

Assuming that it was his father's house and Jesus was entitled to act on his father's behalf, then driving out the money changers would be an apropriate action.  The money changers would be the agressors in this case and Jesus would be the legitimate defender of his property.

But if the congregation owned the temple and permitted the money changers to operate there, then Jesus would have made a claim on another's property and commited an agressive act against it and the temple owners and the merchants would be entitled to compensation from Jesus.  Or even his father if he was acting as an agressor on his father's behalf.

Now discussing who owned what is a matter of faith and interesting to think about but pretty irrelevent.

http://www.comebackalive.com/phpBB2 Travel, Adventure Travel, Arguments, Recipes.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 212
Points 3,430
Twirlcan replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 9:09 PM

Deist:

I think, though I might be wrong, that those money collectors in the temple were quasi state, quasi private. The temple was a government building and a government bank.

The bible doesn't say, but in history the Roman's liked to take over cultural and religious sites of the areas they conquered and use them for either their own temples or for the functions of the Roman state.   This was not done to "rub their noses in it".  The Roman's believed that by taking over a religious site that it would show the locals that the Romans were legitimate both in the secular world and in their traditional spiritual one.  Obviously not every group saw the Roman policy as being anything but insulting. 

http://www.comebackalive.com/phpBB2 Travel, Adventure Travel, Arguments, Recipes.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 9:24 PM

My belief is that God owns everything, both spiritual and natural. While He gives man free license (most of the time) on natural things, He reserves his rights on spiritual matters - and the temple was the literal point where the spiritual touched the natural. It was His house, and He rescinded the license for occupancy and use by the moneychangers - perfectly within His rights, even if He had not insisted on exercising those rights for a long time.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 55
Combsy replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 11:47 PM

I am new to the forums but I just had to jump in on this conversation.

In the original post, he states that he is a Christian. By stating that you believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again. That sacrifice could only have taken if Christ was sinless.

Now I realize that perhaps you are not implying true biblical sin but sin in Austrian terms, if that is so...just stop me now.

However, Jesus could not have been the Christ if he sinned. So that argument would have nulled your very beliefs. That is unless your definition of Christian is different from mine stated above.

I don't think he sinned, in any sense of the word, during this event. As the son of God he had the authority to carry out his father's business here on earth. Because his father could not act on earth, Jesus then became the executor of his estate. Therefore he was simply kicking out trespassers. Right?

Thanks for listening.
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Fri, Mar 28 2008 5:32 PM
Combsy: well said, and welcome to the forum.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 15
Points 495
ErikMalin replied on Fri, Mar 28 2008 7:04 PM

Welcome Combsy. I understand that Christ needed to be sinless. I brought it up because I was discussing with a friend that it would be wrong to punch an anti-Christian protestor who was burning a cross or something. The cross is his property and he's done no violence to you. He then brought up Christ using the whip and flipping the merchants tables which is their property. He is our Great Exemplar. I didn't have an answer.

"I hate government as much as government hates freedom, and that's a lot." - Mike Malin "It is the duty of every Patriot to protect his country from his government." - Patrick Henry
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

It was my understanding that the merchants in the temple were commiting fraud. I heard somewhere that they were selling the same animal multiple times with the promise that they would sacrifice it for each buyer. Also, technically, if he is God they are operating stores in his house without his permission thus violating his property rights. Then again I am not particularly knowledgable about religion although I like Jesus' ethics as far as I understand them.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 55
Combsy replied on Wed, Apr 2 2008 9:59 AM

You are correct in your understanding. The merchants in the temple I believe actually would cover spots on animals and sell them as spotless, and also the prices were outrageous...not even a market driven price... So technically Jesus was just driving out fraudulent merchants, no sin in that.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Thu, Apr 17 2008 2:41 AM

Twirlcan:

The bible doesn't say, but in history the Roman's liked to take over cultural and religious sites of the areas they conquered and use them for either their own temples or for the functions of the Roman state.   This was not done to "rub their noses in it".  The Roman's believed that by taking over a religious site that it would show the locals that the Romans were legitimate both in the secular world and in their traditional spiritual one.  Obviously not every group saw the Roman policy as being anything but insulting. 

The Jews voluntarily joined the Roman Empire so had special religious status.

Peace

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 494
Points 8,970
Len Budney replied on Thu, Apr 17 2008 10:18 AM

It was my understanding that the merchants in the temple were commiting fraud.

Absolutely. Plus there's the factor that Jesus is the Owner's son. He was evicting trespassers.

--Len.

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 1,155

Just my 2 cents, echoing what some of the others have said...

1.  Christ was sinless.  He could not and did not sin.

2.  Christ is God, and Christ owns everything, he rules in dominion over every molecule of the universe.  So if he wants to trash the tables of the money changers out of righteous perfect anger, or manipulate nature causing proprty damage, or ending the life of a human eve, it's all his divine perogative.

"The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it."

“We ought to obey God rather than men.”  -Acts 5:29.

"Slaves before God, free before all others."  -Boer Motto.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS