Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Question About CORPORATISM

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115
wolfman posted on Wed, Mar 10 2010 8:13 AM

I need to know more about his topic of corporatism.

Many guys in my network believe that world trade is dominated not by free market but by corporatism............specially here in America.

I think that to best understand this thing is to first say that corporatism is all about big business partnership with the government.

And I think there is plenty of evidence on this. Over the last 3 decades Americans have witnessed an increase in "merges" and "acquisitions". In other words industries are now dominated by a few companies who don't compete as much as we would expect in a free market.

Can anyone develop more on this issue???

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,945 Posts
Points 36,550
Verified by wolfman

wolfman:

Here are some examples of Corporatism in action:

War is a Racket

Opium Wars

The Dutch East India Company

Iraq

TARP

Corporatism is using state means to enhance market share and profitability of a few favored firms, at the expense of the citizen.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
  • | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,945 Posts
Points 36,550
Verified by wolfman

wolfman:

Here are some examples of Corporatism in action:

War is a Racket

Opium Wars

The Dutch East India Company

Iraq

TARP

Corporatism is using state means to enhance market share and profitability of a few favored firms, at the expense of the citizen.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

Thank you...........

Do you think part of using state means is to concentrate industries into few large corporations???

Jackson LaRose:

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,945 Posts
Points 36,550

wolfman:
Do you think part of using state means is to concentrate industries into few large corporations???

I think the formation of hulking conglomerates is more a consequence of favoritism granted to a few firms, which cause them to grow to massive proportions a truly free market would not favor, due to the diseconomies of scale.

By government means, I mean regulation and taxation, warfare, and and the courts.  Business interests can hijack these instruments of control via lobbying and installing puppets into office to skew the markets in their favor.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

wolfman:

I need to know more about his topic of corporatism.

Many guys in my network believe that world trade is dominated not by free market but by corporatism............specially here in America.

I think that to best understand this thing is to first say that corporatism is all about big business partnership with the government.

yeah, this is the bad part.

And I think there is plenty of evidence on this.

the evidence is the govt regulations and red tape and expense imposed on someone new, preventing him from competing with the established firms.

Over the last 3 decades Americans have witnessed an increase in "merges" and "acquisitions".

this by itself doesn't mean something is going wrong, or that the consumer will suffer. It might just be that the superior company [the one better able to meet the consumers needs] is buying out the losers.

In other words industries are now dominated by a few companies

here too, it could be the result of a free market, cause those few did the best job. by itself it tells us nothing.

who don't compete as much as we would expect in a free market.

if there was a free market, with no regulations and hindrances, they would compete like mad, fear not. If they aren't competing, it's because they got laws passed that forced an end to competition.

Sources: Don't remember, but try a seach on this site about Standard oil, or monopoly, or railroads, and see what comes up.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Mar 10 2010 11:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu9SI0ZwtbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMT_3kq15Yc

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS