Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Labor Unionism, anyone up to debate?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 550
Varg posted on Thu, Mar 25 2010 5:10 PM

Below is a link from a website hosted at my university. I am in a union stronghold area, even though all of the jobs and production is long gone. I am a lone Austrian in this sea of insane and dangerous collectivists.

I can't stand that they go unchallenged. This article, and subsequent comments, are the type of rhetoric that is taught and believed on my campus. The man who wrote it is very popular and powerful in the area and in the university. I am interested in seeing how some of you who have been in the philosophy much longer than I have handle these comments. The posting of comments is unregistered, just write a name and give an unpublished email and it is moderated. I hope to see someone post here.

http://workingclassstudies.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/unions-democrats-and-working-class-interests/

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5
Suggested by billmurdock

Hey, I posted something, let's see if it makes it past moderation.  

trent steel // March 25, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Reply

If unions benefitted their members above what they cost, there would not need to be any laws or regulations forcing membership or payment of dues. If unions benefitted employers more than they cost them, there would not need to be any laws forcing the acceptance of them. In both cases, membership and cooperation, force would not be necessary if mutual benefit under free exchange existed.
If a worker is free to quit a job, an employer if free to fire. Workers are not slaves, and neither are those who own a business. In fact, often they switch roles, with today’s worker opening his own shop tomorrow, or today’s business owner closing his doors and taking wage or salary work instead.
To the extent that union workers in today’s regime of laws and regulations earns more then his fellow it is with wages stolen from the less skilled kept out of the market by rules created by politicians bought and paid for by unions. No one in a union makes the minimum wage, yet unions are the biggest lobbyists for these laws. Why? Because they eliminate competition for union workers. Pay for union workers goes up, and the poorest and least skilled cannot find any job at all. Their ability to develop skills is destroyed. The young and minorities are disproportionately hurt.
Unions are cartels like any other. They seek to increase their profits at the expense of others. Unions could survive and help their members by providing training, job placement, vetted workers, group insurance pools, etc. Instead they concentrate on legally excluding competition and extorting those who create jobs by risking their own money to produce goods for society.
Unions, if they can flourish without coercion and violence, are a good thing. If they cannot, it is only because they are not a net benefit to the members and the places the members desire to work.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
100 Posts
Points 2,455

I replied, but there doesn't seem to be very many people replying at this point.

"It has been well said that, while we used to suffer from social evils, we now suffer from the remedies for them."

F.A. Hayek, The Constitution of Liberty

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 550
Varg replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 7:45 PM

Thanks! Its a slow process on the site, moderation takes place during the day, but it is well worth the wait. I hope more people post something. The comment above looks great.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tom Woods actually suggested I posted the issue here and I would get some people who wanted to join in.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS