Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

This Government Bill

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 290
alexmullins Posted: Mon, Mar 29 2010 1:30 AM

Hey guys. I've recently got into a friendly argument with my friend over this healthcare bill. He took the position for the healthcare bill. He told me that he is against big government, but this healthcare bill is going to insure 30 million uninsured people which he is in favor of. The argument I put forth was that the government can't possibly pay for this. He told me that this bill is actually going to save America money and tossed my argument aside. I I asked him to tell me a SINGLE government program that doesn't lose money. He couldn't. He thinks that governments can't go brok. I gave him examples of Germany(1920), Zimbabwe, and Communist Russia. The next thing I know is that he tells me that I don't care about these uninsured people. I try and take the moral position and say that government FORCING people to buy health insurance is wrong and won't solve anything. He ignored my argument saying that people who don't buy insurance don't know what is good for them.

Can yall provide me with articles, facts, and videos debunking government mandated health insurance?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 785
Points 13,445

Sounds like you did pretty well. But don't let him take the high ground even on his own moral terms, increased state control will not help anything and will only lead to extremely high health insurance costs, and health insurance shouldn't really be used by most people anyway, it should be more a case of out of pocket expenses on Healthcare. 

*Hands holy grail of free market Healthcare arguments*

http://mises.org/daily/3737

Enjoy.

"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 6:26 AM

alexmullins:

Hey guys. I've recently got into a friendly argument with my friend over this healthcare bill. He took the position for the healthcare bill. He told me that he is against big government, but this healthcare bill is going to insure 30 million uninsured people which he is in favor of. The argument I put forth was that the government can't possibly pay for this. He told me that this bill is actually going to save America money and tossed my argument aside. I I asked him to tell me a SINGLE government program that doesn't lose money. He couldn't. He thinks that governments can't go brok. I gave him examples of Germany(1920), Zimbabwe, and Communist Russia. The next thing I know is that he tells me that I don't care about these uninsured people. I try and take the moral position and say that government FORCING people to buy health insurance is wrong and won't solve anything. He ignored my argument saying that people who don't buy insurance don't know what is good for them.

Can yall provide me with articles, facts, and videos debunking government mandated health insurance?

Greece is a more recent and hence better example of a nation going bankrupt due to excessive social welfare programmes.

Also, no government programme that costs 1 trillion dollars (at least, likely more) can possibly save money. It just doesn't make sense. How does insuring an additional 30 million people reduce the cost of insurance for the others?

Also, when he began to change his argument to a moral one, you switched to that too. Don't. People like this don't care about force or coercion. What they do care about is "helping poor people in need". So, if you can demonstrate that this programme will require, for example, massive inflation of the dollar, which makes everyone poorer, especially poor and middle class families who don't diversify into assets, then you can show him that his means and ends are in conflict.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS