Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Depression books order of reading: Newbie asks for advice

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 115
Brian Posted: Fri, Apr 30 2010 9:42 AM

Hi All

I have just purchased the following four book package and was wondering if anyone can provide advice on the order of reading.  Thanks.

Brian

Depression Book Bundle 20% off

• Paperback - America's Great Depression
  • Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • Taxpayers in Revolt
  • Roosevelt Myth, with Raico Introduction
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Sat, May 1 2010 11:12 PM

I see this is your first post...welcome!   And congratulations on your fine purchase of reading materials. 

You might consider reading the Politically Incorrect Guide first as it may be the most readable.  AGD would be next, but keep in mind that you should have some basic background in Austrian business cycle theory and central banking first (have you read What has Government Done to Our Money or the Mystery of Banking?)  Then read the remaining two.  (from your list, I have only read AGD) 

Again, welcome to the forums.

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

I think chloe has a good game plan. PIG then AGD then Raico then Taxpayers in Revolt (mainly because TIR doesn't have to do with depression economics).

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 115
Brian replied on Mon, May 3 2010 6:13 PM

Thanks to both for advice.

I have a basic knowledge in the Austrian business cycle theory and what's wrong with central banking and printing money.  Undoubtedly, there is still a lot I don't know about these topics.

As far as books from mises.org, I've also read Henry Hazlitt's 'Economics in One Lesson' and 'Requiem for Marx'.  The former book is great concerning a priori logic, Bastiat's concept of the seen vs the unseen, and the basics of economics.  The latter is good because it shows the non-sense that Marxism is at its theoretical root.  I was tired of hearing and reading about Marxists defending the viewpoints by using the 'that's because people don't really understand what Marxism is all about' argument.  So I decided to check out more of the theoretical stuff.  I always knew there was something shifty with the doctrine.  Now I know more of why.

Anyway, it is great to learn more about Austrian economic theory.  I've read a couple of dozen articles on mises.org so far and plan on reading more.  I'm particularly curious about the debt with P.I.I.G.S., especially Greece as I think this is going to the way of the future unless world governments drastically reduce their economic meddling.  It is curious though that the Irish public corporations are more sensible and willing to take pay cuts, while the Greeks are rioting like there is no tomorrow.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS