Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

over population???

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 340
huxx Posted: Wed, Mar 17 2010 7:01 AM

I did some volunteer work in Costa Rica helping out the Leatherback Sea turtles for about 6 months last year. One of the discussions that often came up  when talking to other volunteers was that, the decline in Sea turtle population was due to a Over Population of the human species.

Now to an extent i believe that we have greatly impacted on nature, but what surprised me was some peoples opinions on what should be done about it. Some of their solutions were things such as  viruses, international birth control and of course adopting kids form some third world country.

What really shocked me was the idea of using a virus to cull the world population to save the planet. I would have to say though, at least he included himself as a sacrifice to the greater good of the planet.

However i doubt most people who believe the world is over populated would sacrifice themselves and for the cause. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 166
Points 2,730

It's been a notion held by idiots and children for a long time, that the Earth was a good in itself and not a resource. My advice is to not to stoop down to arguing with such lunatics.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

huxx:
However i doubt most people who believe the world is over populated would sacrifice themselves and for the cause. 

Hey, if he's willing, tell him to end it.  Do you know how many people he will have been responsible for producing a few generations from now if he has even one kid now?

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 8:48 AM

Jackson LaRose:

huxx:

Hey, if he's willing, tell him to end it.  Do you know how many people he will have been responsible for producing a few generations from now if he has even one kid now?

So very well said.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 11:48 AM

Years ago Tom Clancy wrote a novel called Rainbow Six. The main characters, a crack Special Forces team, was confronted with Left-Wing terrorists committing seemingly random acts of violence. As the plot unfolded it was discovered these terrorists were really used as a blind by an elite group of very wealthy environmentalists planning to "depopulate" the earth by means of a lethal, bio-engineered virus which was to be released during the Olympics. Of course they had a vaccine available as well as a fortified retreat in the middle of the Amazonian forest: they weren't very keen to die for the cause, you see Wink. In the best Tom Clancy tradition the good guys managed to defeat the bad guys and save the day. 

Tom Clancy didn't invent nothing new: environmentalists have been more or less overtly talking about "culling people" for a good forty years now without nobody objecting in the least. While they may be seen as harmless sociopaths please remember that in most of Europe you can end up at the bar for questioning the number of Jews killed by Hitler and his cronies. "Population control" has been one of the Elegant Left's petty fantasies for decades now. A couple of worrying episodes from the Philippines and Central America hint there may already be "undercover" population control plans in place. But when population naturally declines below "replacement" values, like it has happened in Japan and Italy, they are scared to death nobody will pay their nice fat, undeserved pensions...

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 11:51 AM

The problem with the concept of overpopulation is that it doesn't include the reality that some countries are rich with arable land which it isn't utilized very well. It's not that there's not enough food, space, water, and other necessities to go around, it's that there's too few willing to invest in the time to develop it.

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 11:53 AM

huxx:

People from 10,000 years ago who claimed the world was overpopulated didn't sacrifice themselves for the "fact" either.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS