Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

March 24th: Treasuries Got Clobbered, The Dollar Soared, Why?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
871 Posts
Points 15,025
chloe732 posted on Wed, Mar 24 2010 9:26 PM

It was a bloodbath in treasuries today (for understandable reasons).  Over $100 billion in treasury debt will be auctioned this week, plus corporate debt.   Given the fiscal and monetary background, why did the dollar rally?  In fact, the dollar soared and it is in a strong uptrend.  Why? 

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
349 Posts
Points 5,915

I could be wrong, but it might not have soared as much as other currencies tumbled.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,485 Posts
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 7:55 AM

Investors are running away from the euro, that's as easy as that, so they are buying the next two choices, US dollars and Swiss francs.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 150 Contributor
Male
690 Posts
Points 11,315

chloe732:

Given the fiscal and monetary background, why did the dollar rally?  In fact, the dollar soared and it is in a strong uptrend.  Why? 

Why?

The real truth is: nobody really knows.

Some, including  "investment advisors", or "economists" , or"TV talking heads" and similar, or even including myself, might come up with after- the -fact reasonable sounding [to some Smile] explanations,as to why the observed complicated economic events occurred  , but these can never be deemed "the real truth" , they are no more than speculations as to what happened.

Just as  economic  future events cannot be reliably and consistently predicted, past economic events cannot ever be definitively and conclusively  explained [beyond vague generalizations], at least, as far as I can see. [And evidently, I cannot see very farCool]

Regards onebornfree

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS