Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Health care spending

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 380
PDePeyster posted on Tue, Apr 13 2010 7:00 PM

I am working on a paper on health care spending in the U.S. and I am using a graph of health care as a percentage of total personal consumption. There is a very distinct upward trend from 1930 to the present, however from 1995 to 2003 there is quite a significant decrease in spending. After 2003 the sharp upward trend begins again. I have been looking for some explanation but can not find anything. Anyone have any insight into this?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 5,635
yessir replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 7:14 PM

hmm there was obv a big boom. Why don't you download the specific items in consumer spending and compare which one went up?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

PDePeyster:

I am working on a paper on health care spending in the U.S. and I am using a graph of health care as a percentage of total personal consumption. There is a very distinct upward trend from 1930 to the present, however from 1995 to 2003 there is quite a significant decrease in spending. After 2003 the sharp upward trend begins again. I have been looking for some explanation but can not find anything. Anyone have any insight into this?

Maybe it has to do with information technology. 1995 seems to be the time when computer systems and networking applications became affordable. There is a lot of administration involved in healthcare and insurance.

Then by 2003 increased bureaucracy and taxation had swallowed these cost-savings?

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 9:15 PM

PDePeyster:
There is a very distinct upward trend from 1930 to the present, however from 1995 to 2003 there is quite a significant decrease in spending. After 2003 the sharp upward trend begins again. I have been looking for some explanation but can not find anything.

Try to convert your data to costs in terms of gold.  It would be interesting to see if such a graph reveal anything shocking.

If you do and you happened to observe something interesting, please share it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 9:41 PM

Jorge boosh thought it would be a good idea for corporations to have more of your money. So he passed this. It was in 2003. It has a lot of zazzy words like "modernization" in the title, but its basically just another wealth transfer. In the costs section you can see this bill is responsible for some ~$50billion/yr in spending.

Banned
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS