Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

IP law

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 290
alexmullins Posted: Mon, May 3 2010 11:06 AM

Hello everyone!

On another forum I am having a discussion about how Apple is being investigated by the FTC for unfair business practices. Supposedly they are *squashing* the competition because the have locked down their iPhone OS and are not allowing cross compilers such as Adobes. My arguement is that the government is trying to have it both ways. They hand out patents on products, but gets angry when a company restricts competition. This has little debate has intrigued my interest in IP laws. I do not know much about the libertarian view on IP law, but personally I am against it. How can a person own the right to an idea? What is everyone else's view on the subject?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Mon, May 3 2010 11:11 AM

This is the most recent thread on this subject, if that helps.

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Mon, May 3 2010 12:02 PM

There is about one thread a week on here about patents/copyrights/trademarks.  If you want to know everyones opinion, you can do a search and probably find a bunch of threads about it.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 290

Thanks alot guys!

I was pointed to Stephan Kinsella's writings on IP. I will start reading them tonight.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Mon, May 3 2010 2:49 PM

Don't forget to read opposing views from pro-IP camp. wink

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS