Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Idea about forum

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:38 AM

What if the user who starts a thread had the ability to delete or "hide" posts in the thread they start?

So, different people could be moderators in a sense, at least moderate threads that have importance to them.

Use the synergy of people to make the forum better.

: )

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:48 AM

You mean like an "ignore" button?

Nevermind, I see what you mean. I think it would be a terrible idea actually. Can you imagine Birthday Pony-type people starting threads and deleting any criticisms they didn't want to address? "Look at all my threads - and not one single refutation posted by the Austrians!"

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

"Birthday Pony?"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:01 AM

"Look at all my threads - and not one single refutation posted by the Austrians!""

Some people would want to post lists or other threads with no dissent.  That might be their purpose.  Others, like me, would want discussion and dissent and debates from both sides.  I'm very open.  Not everyone is like me, though.  So, the thread would depend on the person.  If a user never allowed debate on his thread, he might not attract those wanting to debate to his threads.  But those who did, would attract it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:03 AM

A user can always bump their threads limitgov. If a post is so bad that it ought to be ignored, then it will either be ignored or deleted by a mod. There is no need to censor just because the OP disagrees with a poster.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:05 AM

SkepticalMetal:

"Birthday Pony?"

Have a barf bag handy...
An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:16 AM

"A user can always bump their threads limitgov. If a post is so bad that it ought to be ignored, then it will either be ignored or deleted by a mod. There is no need to censor just because the OP disagrees with a poster."

I was thinking like my Britain thread, where auto and consum went nuts on it.  being able to delete all their back and forth arguments and insults.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:16 AM

I knew that's why you brought this up...

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Groucho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:31 AM

Then either ignore or report their posts. Having you be able to singlehandedly moderate your thread would be a problem in general, as pointed out by Groucho.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Groucho on the Pony Weirdo

It looks like the people on the Mises forums owned that guy like this guy owned Jack Thompson.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS