Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is the point of sponsorship?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Points 6,535
Voievod Posted: Wed, May 28 2008 12:17 AM

I keep seing "Event sponsored by [obscure list of companies]". How exactly do these companies benefit from sponsoring events?

It seems to me like they lose a lot of money that could otherwise be spent on better advertising.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 545

They are advertising.  Early advertisers foolishly assumed that the purchasing decisions of the majority of humans would best be influenced by arguments about the merits of a particular product.  Modern advertisers understand human psychology a lot better, which is why they aim for things like name recognition and good feelings associated with their brand.  Sponsorship is a great way to achieve both of these objectives.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Wed, May 28 2008 1:51 AM
There is no better advertisment than Heineken written next to Champoins League or Rolex written next to the serve speed.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 42
Points 825
Ronorama replied on Thu, May 29 2008 8:39 AM

Sometimes there are challenges to being a libertarian...when you have to accept something non-violent even though it irritates you. This is one of those things for me. It bugs me to no end to see stadiums and events that were previously named after individuals get stripped of that name or have the name of a company tacked onto it. Probably the one that irritates me the most is the Tostito's Fiesta Bowl. Sheesh.

I know, I know...being a Capitalist Pig means I have to accept it in order to be true to my principles, and I would certainly never advocate government intervention to prevent or change it. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 89
Points 1,615
LanceH replied on Thu, May 29 2008 9:54 AM

Callisthenes:
They are advertising.  Early advertisers foolishly assumed that the purchasing decisions of the majority of humans would best be influenced by arguments about the merits of a particular product.  Modern advertisers understand human psychology a lot better, which is why they aim for things like name recognition and good feelings associated with their brand.  Sponsorship is a great way to achieve both of these objectives.

LOL!

Very true.

Same in politics.  Don't appeal to reason, but to the emotions.  Just convince people that they can trust you.  Tell them what they want to hear. Then go act in the interests of the cabal who nominated you.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS