Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Pete Boetke, Steven Horwitz, Don Lavoie, David Prychitko, Hayek, Lachmann

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
289 Posts
Points 9,530
Kenneth posted on Wed, Jul 14 2010 6:24 AM

Please explain to me the story of why the first four were shunned from the Mises Institute and called punks by Joe Salerno. Also explain what is wrong with the Hayekian brand of Austrian economics and why Austrians think 'Lachmannianism' is wrong.

http://austrianeconomists.typepad.com/weblog/2009/08/setting-the-record-straight-on-austropunkism-and-the-sociology-of-the-austrian-school-of-economics.html

The accusations stated in this blog seem very extreme. The Mises Institute is not even remotely close to being accepted in the mainstream yet, at least according to Boetke, it already has this sort of Randroid dogmatism. The blog also paints the 'Austrian renegades' as completely  innocent of Salerno's charges. Overall, it seems very convincing.

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,365 Posts
Points 30,945

Somebody who was once very close to members of Mises Institute said that "program in Auburn is run like a Stalinist indoctrination camp" in an online article.

I am not going to reveal his name (he is moderately well known online), since it might result in angry emails, but the same man asserts them to be otherwise nice people, so obviously there can be a contradictory character to the various people in the organization. 

I am not an Austrian, so I am not going to defend the members of Mises Institute, but nobody's perfect, and you can't expect high moral character from economists and academic intellectuals, who have not been known for being entirely decent people. Academia rots some principles of politeness, in a way similar to what happens to syndicated columnists and TV talking heads.

Intellectuals have been slandering each other since time memorial.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

http://blog.mises.org/10424/modern-austrian-history-a-response-to-pete-part-1/

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Why should it be explained to you when you can go read up on it? It's not like there aren't articles on Hayek by Salerno, Gordon etc. Read them and make up your mind.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator
called punks by Joe Salerno.

Dr. Salerno does not mean "punk" in the way Clint Eastwood's character in Gran Torino might use the word. He's drawing an analogy to the punk movement in rock music in the 1970s and 80s.

it already has this sort of Randroid dogmatism.

Right, Randroid dogmatism.  That's why the LvMI supports scholars with such heterodox/novel positions as Bob Murphy's monetary (non-time-preference) theory of interest, Peter Klein's combining of Austrian entrepreneurial theory with Coasean Transaction Cost Economics, and Jorg Guido Hulsmann's alternative to Mises' Evenly Rotating Economy.

Read Nir's link.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Are you calling me a randroid or is this limited to staff?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

I was being ironic.  My examples demonstrate how LvMI does NOT exhibit "randroid dogmatism".

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

To the OP.  He is convinced about Boettke being right about that, he says.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS