Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Zombies, Video Games, and Free Markets...

rated by 0 users
This post has 0 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 10
Points 635
LibertySole Posted: Mon, Jul 26 2010 2:23 AM

Tonight I went to a computer cafe to play some video games with friends and had the pleasure to witness a microcosm of free markets take place within our video game. The game we chose was called "Killing Floor" and the object of the game was to kill and survive waves of X number of zombies throughout a selected map. Each player was equipped with a pistol, a medical syringe, and a welder to weld doors shut. Between each wave players would earn cash to use at the store to trade for better weapons.

There was a total of six playing and the host of the game took it upon himself to be responsible for healing all of us, though it was not vocalized he just chose to do so. The first 3 games we would survive the first wave of zombies and buy new weapons; but by the second wave we would eventually run out of ammo due to poor accuracy and the only person who was healing players was the host. No one realized they had become dependent on him and eventually everyone died lol.

Soon after the third game, my friend, who was healing all of us, quit because he was getting frustrated that he was the only one healing players. I asked why he took upon himself to be the medic and he replied "Because I didn't want you guys to die!" I told him to get back in the game and not worry about it and allow each player to worry about their own health, suggesting a more "free market" style approach. He refused to play and chose to watch instead because he said we would all die if we didn't have someone to heal everyone.

The next game we increased the number of zombies per wave and each person was now responsible for their own health level. Not only did we survive the first 2 waves, but we survived 7 waves of zombies, who increased in size and difficulty, with plenty of ammo due to our higher accuracy. When things started to get heated and overwhelming, we took upon ourselves to heal one another, of course accompanied with loud profanities haha!

My friend who left earlier eventually joined back in the game because he realized how far we were getting and figured we could use another hand. Guess what happened next.....

He took upon himself to heal everyone on his own again, and we died on that very next wave!

In other words, central planning gets players dependent on healing from the host (the state) and ultimately killed by zombies. Free Markets, however, give players better health, more weapons, more ammo, more cash, and allow them to progress to the next level of zombies!

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS