Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Forgein companies and land sales

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 150
Danny Posted: Tue, Jul 27 2010 1:20 PM

We are starting to see some land sales as a way for cities to get out of debt. I believe that the first step to fixing the government problem is for all land and waterways to be privately owned. I also believe in free trade with anyone in the world. So, here is my question. What if a huge company like wal-mart buys millions of acres from the government, then shortly afterward sells it to a country like China? Under anarcho-capitalism this flies, but it sure is an uneasy thought.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:28 PM

Why are you so afraid of the Chinese government or a Chinese company when you are completely at the mercy of the authorities in your own town or city much less the federal level?  The local folks have much more power to make your life miserable than any investment institution in China.  The best example is that regardless of the amount of land owned by the government of China, that government has zero power to tax you.  But your local government with a few blocks for buildings and schools can tax your property for thousands, actually any amount, and can literally kill you if you resist.

In the last year, how many government officers from China have killed an American Citizen on American Soil?  I would think less than 10?  How many poeple have been killed in no-knock drug raids by Federal Officers?  State Officers?  Locals? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:29 PM

If you there is really good reason to be afraid that they will attack you, like building military bases on the land and such, then you can attack them. Respect for private property doesn't mean you have to let the bad guys gear up. You just can't attack peaceful people.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 150
Danny replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:54 PM

I'm not so afraid of China specifically, and I certainly do not condone the US government nor do I approve of any government and their dealings for that matter. It's not that the Chinese government has or does not have a voted on power to tax in this situation. The person with the most and biggest guns taxes if they please. China was the example given because they are known to be historic violators of property rights.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 150
Danny replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:58 PM

Of course you have to let them gear up, that would be their natural right to defend themselves. You cannot fire, until fired upon. I own guns, I'm gearing up, and I own them for protection and as a keeper of the peace. How is what you are saying not preemptive war?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 5:19 PM

Leaving behind nationalistic thought is indeed very, very difficult. One has been imbued with those since childhood, and must now fight with what has become a reflex when accepting the possibility that ‘foreigners’ will own ‘our’ country. But it’s something we’ll have to agree with.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS