Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Flurodiation Truth on Australian TV? Finally...

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Sat, Aug 7 2010 2:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TskdiL_YqRw

the sodium fluoride literally comes from toxic waste.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

So, why aren't everyones teeth destroyed if this is so bad and everyone is using it?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 3,900
Gipper replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 3:21 PM

You should read about what long term exposure to Fluoride does to the physiology of the body.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

Gipper:
You should read about what long term exposure to Fluoride does to the physiology of the body.

Why not just answer my question? I have not read about what it does to the physiology of the body over a long period of time, but you did not know that when you posted. So I ask, again, why people's teeth aren't falling out from drinking water filled with flouride?

Please, understand I am not saying I believe or don't believe it is harmful. I'm posting through my own observations.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 43
Points 615
VA replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 3:27 PM

Yeah, what are the effects of using toothpaste with fluoride. What brand do you use for teeth?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 98
Points 1,680
Curtis replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 3:27 PM

So what? If the compound itself is isolated then it matters not a bit where it comes from. Fundamental misunderstanding of chemistry here I think.
How scary is this to you then?
Table salt *gasp* "comes from" explosive sodium metal, and poisonous chlorine gas. Better warn your friends and family!

This is not a defense of government  fluoridation of the water supply. Just saying, if you're going to attack it do it intelligently.

Visit Us For Your Daily Market Madness Recaps! Market Madness -- http://financeandopportunity.blogspot.com/
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 4:05 PM

Some fruits 'naturally' contain cyanide.  

The mineral 'Iron' is essential for you only in minimal doses.  

From a dental POV, from what I figured out by looking at lab tests.  Fluoride helps only in certain doses with teeth.

I also seen tests that showed people with degrees of flouride exposure have lower IQ and more cases of really low IQ.  

All Fluoride are not the same.  Calcium Fluoride is relatively harmless but does not react with the body, so it does not have the dental benefit like sodium.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"

So what? If the compound itself is isolated then it matters not a bit where it comes from. Fundamental misunderstanding of chemistry here I think.
How scary is this to you then?
Table salt *gasp* "comes from" explosive sodium metal, and poisonous chlorine gas. Better warn your friends and family!

This is not a defense of government  fluoridation of the water supply. Just saying, if you're going to attack it do it intelligently."

So what?  that's it?  sodium fluoride is toxic...the amounts they put in water is more than trace amounts.  It offers absolutely no benefit to drink it, in fact, like you already realize, its toxic.  Why waste resources to buy the toxic waste and add it to the drinking water?

why would you eat sodium cholride?  why not eat real salt?  why eat sodium chloride that has been stripped of all its nutrients and bleached? 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

limitgov, can you provide links to research showing that the amounts that people are ingesting from drinking water is toxic and harmful to the body?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"limitgov, can you provide links to research showing that the amounts that people are ingesting from drinking water is toxic and harmful to the body?"

I'll tell you what...why don't you show me a study that proves that drinking sodium fluoride is beneficial?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 5:55 PM

Why dont u both use gogol. Its what I did. "Fluoridation Long Term Effects"

Banned
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

limitgov:
I'll tell you what...why don't you show me a study that proves that drinking sodium fluoride is beneficial?

Nah. You're the one claiming how horrible it is for people to consume so either share some of the reserach you've investigated or quit crying wolf already.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

Sieben:
Why dont u both use gogol. Its what I did. "Fluoridation Long Term Effects"

What did you find?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 3,955

The best (semi-conspiratorial) explanation I've heard about fluoride is that sometime in the past, the industries which paid large amount of money disposing of the many toxic waste fluoride compounds successfully made a bunch of bogus studies and lobbying to get the government to take their trash for free, and dump it in the water supply. It also opened up the whole fluoride toothpaste industry.

I feel fluoride as a cavity deterrent is a big snake oil salesman trick, but I don't go as far as saying it's meant to reduce the population's IQ (edit: at least not anymore) or make them docile, etc., as that's a much more falsifiable theory. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 6:13 PM

Are you afraid of google?

Avoiding sites which are obviously political/biased, like nofluoride.com, I turned up the following

Fluoride is okay in medium doses but bad in high doses. It also sucks if u have kidney problems which a lot of people do

Its bad for babies

Skeletal FLUOROSIS

Basically it looks like if you're healthy its fine, but if you have anything like kedney or blood problems it could screw you.

Banned
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 6:13 PM

In conclusion, this study confirms that fluoride accumulates in the brain and
muscle  of  mice  causing  stress  and  inhibiting  auto-oxidation  mechanisms,
thereby resulting in oxidative damage of neural and muscular tissues. Fluoride
also  inhibits  enzymes  involved  in  energy  production,  transfer,  membrane-
bound ion transport, and  neurotransmission. Thus fluoride accumulation  leads
to  cascading  effects  resulting  in  altered  functions  of  brain  and  muscle.  This
study also shows that muscle is more susceptible to fluoride uptake than brain,
which may be due to the blood brain barrier as well as differential sensitivity of various organs to fluoride toxicity.

A high fluoride intake was associated with a lower intelligence. No correlation was found between age and intelligence in the areas with a medium and severe prevalence of fluorosis. The effect of exposure to a high level of fluoride on intelligence may occur at an early stage of development of the embryo and infant when the differentiation of brain nerve cells is occurring and development is most rapid. 

various organs to fluoride toxicity.In conclusion, this study confirms that fluoride accumulates in the brain and
also  inhibits  enzymes  involved  in  energy  production,  transfer,  membrane-
to  cascading  effects  resulting  in  altered  functions  of  brain  and  muscle.  This
which may be due to the blood brain barrier as well as differential sensitivity of
various organs to fluoride toxicity.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 3,955

Wibee:

In conclusion, this study confirms that fluoride accumulates in the brain and
which may be due to the blood brain barrier as well as differential sensitivity of various organs to fluoride toxicity.

A high fluoride intake was associated with a lower intelligence. No correlation was found between age and intelligence in the areas with a medium and severe prevalence of fluorosis. The effect of exposure to a high level of fluoride on intelligence may occur at an early stage of development of the embryo and infant when the differentiation of brain nerve cells is occurring and development is most rapid. 

various organs to fluoride toxicity.In conclusion, this study confirms that fluoride accumulates in the brain and
which may be due to the blood brain barrier as well as differential sensitivity of
various organs to fluoride toxicity.

The lethal dose for fluoride in humans is 5mg/kg, and those rats were treated "with NaF (20mg/kg/body weight) for 14 days", so surely somethings gonna happen to them...

To have some perspective, the fluoride in the water is around 1ppm, or 1mg per 1 liter, which is what a person is expected to ingest a day. That's a bit far from the lethal dose for an adult, which should be around 400mg... though for a baby, it could be as little as 15mg, that without taking into consideration that the brain's under deveolpment, etc.

I think there's a lot of bad studies on both sides, that don't really prove anything (empirical criticism aside), and if anything, I think there's a bigger case to be made against fluoride in the question whether it should be added in the water in the first place (involuntary mass medication, morality, gunverment, etc.)

Edit: that chinese study may suffer from selection bias also. They've picked separate areas that may have had differences in IQ regardless of fluoridation due to other factors...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"Nah. You're the one claiming how horrible it is for people to consume so either share some of the reserach you've investigated or quit crying wolf already."

So, you have no idea why the government should be adding it to water? 

As a libertarian, or a free market person, does that not seem like a waste of resources to you?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"So, why aren't everyones teeth destroyed if this is so bad and everyone is using it?"

plenty of people in the states get cavities and lose their teeth.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 7:12 PM

Fluoride in toothpaste I could maybe agree with, but fluoride in water is just ridiculous. The predominant effect of fluoride is topical, and it's a pretty poisonous substance to be ingesting casually. Also even if this "medicine" is right for certain people at certain times, medicating an entire population several times a day without their consent?! Why not put aspirin in the water, too? </s>

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

To recommend a non-specific dosage of anything is quackery by the standards supposedly upheld by the medical associations.  That's what it comes down to and that's what water supply fluoridation is.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 260
Ahmed replied on Sun, Aug 8 2010 9:28 PM

US Safe Water Drinking Act. Testimony of Dr. J Wiliam Hirzy, Senoir Vice President Enviromental Protection Agency(EPA) Union>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRLz4a7lDVM

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS