Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

1st Ammendment

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee Posted: Sat, Aug 21 2010 11:53 AM

Was it originally meant to apply towards the federal government or the states?  Or both?  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Wibee:

Was it originally meant to apply towards the federal government or the states?  Or both?  

As with all of the other 9 amendments, it was "supposed" to apply  to the new, federal government only.

Individual [supposedly "sovereign"] states already had their own bills of rights[ most of them with similar 1st amendments]. In fact, Madisons/Jeffersons Bill of Rights was largely copied from state constitutions.

See my blog post:  "Nullifying the Bill of Rights- The Judiciary Act Scam"     for more on this.

Regards, onebornfree 

Wibee:

As with all of the other 9 amendments, it was "supposed" to apply  to the new, federal government only.

Individual [supposedly "sovereign"] states already had their own bills of rights[ most of them with similar 1st amendments]. In fact, Madisons/Jeffersons Bill of Rights was largely copied from state constitutions.

See my blog post:  "Nullifying the Bill of Rights- The Judiciary Act Scam"     for more on this.

Regards, onebornfree 

Wibee:

Regards, onebornfree 

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 1:11 PM

Thanks for this!  I was told other-wise.  I didn't believe it.  It's hard to know what to believe anymore especially when you have Constitutional organizations defending Obamacare.  And a Constitutional Scholar himself as president doing things so blatantly unconstitutional.  Considering the now proper view of the constitution as a living document, means that it could mean anything at anytime.  

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 1:24 PM

I know they don't interpret the constitution literally or anything but...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]
So its congress this bill restricts.

The judicial and executive branch can still mess with these things.

As they often do

Banned
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 235
Points 5,230
shazam replied on Sun, Aug 22 2010 12:01 AM

Sieben:

I know they don't interpret the constitution literally or anything but...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]

As they often do

No they can't because they would violate natural law, plus they aren't given that power under the Constitution.

Anarcho-capitalism boogeyman

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 166
Points 2,355
Marked replied on Sun, Aug 22 2010 5:44 PM

As they often do

The 10th amendment "Should have" restricted the Executive and Judicial branches, as there was no power of Judicial Review outlined in the Constitution and the Executive wasn't permitted to mess with those things either.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS