Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What's the difference between Dr. Paul and Gary Johnson?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290
No2statism Posted: Thu, Aug 12 2010 2:36 PM

Is Dr. Paul more Austrian or are they equally Austrian?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I've read that Gary Johnson said he supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  Does anyone know if Johnson still supports NAM(anaged)TA?  Does Johnson favor doing away with the Federal Reserve?  Would Ron Paul be a lot better to have for President in any ways other than that Johnson supports title 2 of the CRA of 1964 and if Johnson still supports NAMTA?

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 570

Johnson is definitely less of an ideologue (and I mean that in a good way) than Paul.  He is preparing himself for a presidential run in 2012, and he is not merely interested in changing ideas, he believes he has a chance of winning.  Because of that he is less dogmatic on certain libertarian points than Paul is.  I heard Johnson speak and he said that if an "End the Fed" bill landed on his desk, he would sign it, but he implied it was not a good use of his political capital.

Ron Paul would be a much better president than Johnson, mostly because Johnson is more of a gradualist.  I doubt he would immediately pardon all non-violent drug offenders.  That being said, I believe Johnson has much more appeal to the general populace, though I question whether a social liberal can get the nod in a Republican primary.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

bump.  I'm curious to hear more thoughts on this.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

site:lewrockwell.com gary johnson in a search box will get you good stuff, especially if you follow the links to economicpolicyjournal.com that turn up

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,410

This is from garyjohnson2012.com,

"Restrict Federal Reserve policy to maintaining price stability, not bailing out financial firms or propping up the housing sector."

I don't like that personally. "Maintaining price stability" means what?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS