Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Deflation Question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750
Jeremiah Dyke posted on Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:10 PM

And this marginal reduction of consumer
spending, far from impairing aggregate production, will
rather tend to increase it. The simple fact is that all resources
that are not used for consumption are saved; that is, they are
available for investment and thus help to extend production
in those areas that previously were not profitable enough to
warrant investment.

--Ethics of Money Production

Here is my question. Lets say that fractional reserve banking is eliminated and banks tend to opperate as warehouses for money storage (though they may also offer time deposits). Yet, if deflation is expected, we know that consumers will postpone consumption thinking that prices will fall, but without fractional reserve banking where consumers would simply keep said money in storage like misers causing declines in purchasing power of the dollar leading to more expected deflation and more postponed consumption.

Where am i getting stuck here

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 6,780
Azure replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:18 PM

Paradox of Thrift? There's a little thing called time preference: At some point the savings are no longer worth the additional wait and it is at that point the purchase will be made.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

I thought deflation meant an increase in purchasing power.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
157 Posts
Points 3,880
C replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 9:02 PM

Ya people buy when they can afford it.  It would be asinine to continue saving year after year after year after year simply because you want to save a few more bucks.  

And to illustrate this point.  Consider HDTV's (or PC before that).  Prices started out extremely high and fell rapidly, according to the above theory, sales of HDTV's or PCs should have stayed flat for many years.  In reality, sales exploded as things got cheaper.  

At least he wasn't a Keynesian!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
871 Posts
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 10:49 PM

Jeremiah,

Could you refine your question?  Here is what I think you are asking:

Hulsmann says a marginal reduction in consumption results more resources being available for investment.  In contrast, there is the Keynesian paradox of thrift (which has been debunked in the Austrian literature.)

You present a scenario of deflation without a central bank, with banks operating as money warehouses or accepting time deposits (no fractional reserve lending).  Thus, the deflation you describe will not be the destructive type encountered with a credit system collapse.  The type of deflation you describe is the *good* type that results from increased productivity, the result of capital investment.  Consumers will have the pleasant effect of an increase in purchasing power over time. 

Imagine saving money for 40 years, and the purchasing power remains intact or actually increases!  Our only experience, due to the central bank, is that of the purchasing power of our savings being wiped out over our lifetimes, making us wards of the state, dependent on social security (I digress, but this does show the seriousness of the problem).

There is no reason to believe consumers would hoard money into oblivion under such conditions (unhampered market).  Sure, some would hold off if they think they can get a better deal later, but there is nothing unusual about that, they are following their own subjective value scales and will exchange their money for goods when they subjectively value the goods more highly over the money.  They is no reason to believe they will prefer to starve to death or go without goods of all kinds because they will get a better deal later. 

"Gee, the purchasing power of my money is increasing, I better NOT spend it".  That just does not make sense.  Now, if one says "I fear losing my job, so I better save and not spend", then that does make sense.  To call such behavior "hoarding" is ludicrous. 

The *hoarding* is the result of the consumer reaction to a credit system collapse (central bank induced boom gone bust).  Of course they will save when they fear losing their jobs, etc.  Why would I buy a house now when I can buy one a year from now at a lower price?  The current housing deflation is not the result of unhampered market conditions that you describe in you example.  The destructive deflation we are experiencing now resulted from the previous Fed intervention.

Are you getting stuck by not recognizing the distinction between the two types of  *deflation*?

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

Chloe732:
making us wards of the state, dependent on social security (I digress, but this does show the seriousness of the problem).

Are you saying that in an unhampered market inflationary effects on the value of money as savings would be minimalized?

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up somebody else." Booker T. Washington
Top 100 Contributor
Male
871 Posts
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 12:32 AM

cognitivist:
Are you saying that in an unhampered market inflationary effects on the value of money as savings would be minimalized?

Yes, that is what I am saying.  What is unclear about this? 

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

chloe732:
What is unclear about this?

The logical conclusion would be "0%" Inflation = best outcome for savings in dollars. Is that possible in an unhampered market?

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:10 AM

Jeremiah Dyke:
Where am i getting stuck here

Yes because this sort reasoning is based on assumptions that don't make any logical sense.  Namely, that people will stop consuming.  People must continue to consume.  If they put off on some consumption due to speculative expectation it can only be temporarily.  This is why as prices drop, pressure to buy begins to build.  There is a negative feedback loop here which will put on the brakes and not a positive feedback loop which will crash all prices to the floor.  If the latter were true, then the proposition that wants are never satisfied would be false.

Not Ranked
67 Posts
Points 940
mahsah replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:59 PM

Have there even been any real empirical accounts or evidence of a "deflationary spiral" that economists always assume will happen?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
197 Posts
Points 3,520

@mahash

Yes, the Great Depression.

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:27 PM

justinx0r:

@mahash

Yes, the Great Depression.

So which is it already?   Excess demand for money causes prices to spiral downward or prices to just freeze due to some "public goods" problem?  

Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 460

If a currency is expected to increase in value, the proper response is to bid up the currency to a level of equilibrium of buyers and sellers. If the currency rises fast and far enough, people will change their expectations. Having too much wealth is not really a problem to begin with.

Most problems of deflation are the result of governments attempting to stem it. A well-believed expectation that something is at an incorrect price is economically illogical because if people believed that a currency was worth X amount, it would be worth X amount. Government meddling and information of possible intervention causes  a lag in effect which prolongs the deflation expectation and corresponding lack of buying certain types of goods.

Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

TropicalK:

If a currency is expected to increase in value, the proper response is to bid up the currency to a level of equilibrium of buyers and sellers. If the currency rises fast and far enough, people will change their expectations. Having too much wealth is not really a problem to begin with.

Most problems of deflation are the result of governments attempting to stem it. A well-believed expectation that something is at an incorrect price is economically illogical because if people believed that a currency was worth X amount, it would be worth X amount. Government meddling and information of possible intervention causes  a lag in effect which prolongs the deflation expectation and corresponding lack of buying certain types of goods.

Thomas Dolby - Sale of the Century

My economist's been in touch
My commodities don't mean much
Take a look at those unit trusts
Everybody here's going bust
It's the sale of the century-get back in line
The sale of the century-these things take time
The sale of the century-you place or mine?

Take a lesson on easy terms
Take the money but don't get burned
False economy pave the way
Now we're turning a whole new page
In the sale of the century-get back in line
The sale of the century-these things take time
The sale of the century-you place or mine?

Palm grove on horizon.
Some fruit are sweet and some are poison....

The Sale of the Century!

Thomas Dolby... the Austrian?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
871 Posts
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 11:57 PM

cognitivist:
The logical conclusion would be "0%" Inflation = best outcome for savings in dollars. Is that possible in an unhampered market?

No, that is not the logical conclusion.  I can't say what the "best outcome for savings" means.  Capital formation and the resulting increased productivity would increase the exchange value of the existing commodity money (in an unhampered market).  New production of commodity money (ie, gold for example) would be inflationary and would decrease the exchange value of said money. 

But the unhampered market would provide a natural brake to money production.  The gold mines would slow down if each ounce of newly refined gold is buying less labor and capital goods used in mining.  If the inflation continued, gold would eventually be removed as a money by being transformed into other uses, ie, ornamentation.  The unhampered market has a natural brake on inflation.

Not so with the central bank. 

I said nothing about "0%" inflation.  Inflation (money production) would be an entirely market driven process.  I cannot imagine a scenario in which a commodity money (ie, a money a superior as gold) could be driven to near zero exchange value over a person's lifetime like a fiat currency. 

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS