Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Usury

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725
cognitivist posted on Sun, Aug 15 2010 2:20 PM

If consumers have no demand for usury, then why does it exist.. better yet, why should it continue to exist?

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up somebody else." Booker T. Washington
  • | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Demand does not determine what exists.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

Preference determines demand, however.

Top 25 Contributor
3,415 Posts
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Aug 15 2010 2:45 PM

Because consumers do have a demand for usury. And usury is a poor term.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
470 Posts
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Sun, Aug 15 2010 2:47 PM

Isn't this like asking that consumers doesn't have demand for prices in the sense they would prefer everything for free?

Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

filc:
Because consumers do have a demand for usury.

Where in the negotiations did I jump up and down about my credit union charging interest on my car payment?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

Vitor:
Isn't this like asking that consumers doesn't have demand for prices in the sense they would prefer everything for free?

Not if you consider prices as separate from interest.

Top 25 Contributor
3,415 Posts
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Aug 15 2010 3:02 PM

cognitivist:
Not if you consider prices as separate from interest.

They are not. Interest is a value differentiation over time. IE, the cost of time.

filc:
Because consumers do have a demand for usury present goods as opposed to future goods. Future goods are offered at a discount price, the discrepancy between the price of present to future goods creates interest. 

cognitivist:
Where in the negotiations did I jump up and down about my credit union charging interest on my car payment?

The use of the term "usury" is a clear representation of not understanding what interest is and where it comes from.

A) It's a natural phenomena that has nothing to do with money but everything to do with time differentiations.

B) It's real rate is set on the capital market, not the loan market.

IE Usury, really does not exist in any way. It's the same concept as price gouging, which is also entirely fictitious. It's a purely theoretical term that has no logical or empirical merit. It's something that belongs in early 19th century religous textbooks which are ignorant of economics in general.

But to understand what interest is you first need to learn about capital theory.

Please read some material from Eugen von Böhm-Bawer.

Do you believe you have a positive right to someone else's monetary capital?

Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

filc:
Please read some material from Eugen von Böhm-Bawer.

I am familiar with Bohm-Bawer.

Usury, at least I see in a modern economic sense, is the intentional collusion of interest above its free-market collusory level.

I understand interest as a cost of time unit.

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 30

I agree with filc, it is a term that belongs in a religious text book.

If I loan you 10 cows for a year and ask for 13 in return to make up for 3 calves I might have had is that usury or am I just wanting what I might have had myself if you hadn't taken my cows?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
433 Posts
Points 6,720

Usury, at least I see in a modern economic sense, is the intentional collusion of interest above its free-market collusory level.

I understand interest as a cost of time unit.

I don't quite understant what the first sentence means, but let me try... people may or may borrow you their money, usually at some rate. Assuming there is some average 'market rate', the actual rates in various transactions will vary, according to the risk perceived and other factors. Why would anyone accept a "too high" a.k.a usurious interest rate? Because they can't get anyone else to borrow them on better terms. There is usually a reason for that.

Top 150 Contributor
743 Posts
Points 11,795

I think the term usury should stick with Mafia style loans. I'm of the understanding those kinds of interest charges where the mob ignores old contracts to extort more money through force is what the term usury used to refer to. 

Top 25 Contributor
3,415 Posts
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Aug 15 2010 10:14 PM

cognitivist:
Usury is the intentional collusion of interest above its free-market collusory level.

Forgive me, but is usury widely understood as the definition you provided above? If so I have missed this. When you say collusion are you referring to manipulation from a central bank?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sun, Aug 15 2010 10:27 PM

I don't actually know if there is a market "price". There are many prices for the same service, and not all of them are marked. You can pay a dollar for a bottle of water at the supermarket, but it would cost you 10 to get one from my fridge. Are they both not market prices?

Banned
Top 500 Contributor
265 Posts
Points 4,725

I highly doubt there isn't a de facto "price" for a given item on the market's rate of interest.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS