Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Economies of Scale Argument

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 145
RockAFellerX posted on Thu, Oct 7 2010 5:15 PM

I was discussing the efficiency of public works programs with a Keynesian friend of mine.  This friend has admittedly more formal education in economics (and unfortunately, the accompanying indoctrination) than I.

I said that the private sector could address these projects far more efficiently than the government.  He said it was far more efficient for the government to administrate many projects than for many smaller entities to administrate one project a piece because of the "economies of scale."

I have only a layman's grasp of economics, but I do know there are some aspects that economies of scale do not apply to. 

I am eager to know how someone more learned than I would respond to his argument.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 5:40 PM

This argument makes no sense.

The government has no method of calculation to ascertain the economic value of the service it provides relative to its costs.  It is no good to argue that the government can buy steel cheaper per oz. due to economy of scales because it consumes more of it then the unhampered market.  The government wasted resources for the production of more steel.  Resources that were withdrawn from the production of more urgent items that were deemed higher in value by the consumers.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515
Suggested by Lagrange multiplier

It seems like your friend likes to toss around "economies of scale" as a blanket statement justifying all government intervention, but it doesn't make any sense without context regarding the structure of that industry. I can't even begin to address this comment without additional information.

1. Are the government programs even warranted at all?
  2. Why does he assume that consumers prefer standardization to differentiation in this industry (required for economies of scale)?
  3. Why does he assume that natural market competition will resemble "perfect competition?" That is, why can't one firm, or a small group of firms, emerge as industry leaders and utilize economies of scale?
  4. Where will innovation within that industry come from?
  5. How does your friend deal with the fact that the government is not bound by the profit/loss constraint and overrides the price mechanism? Or the fact that the government does not serve the consumer and his/her desires but rather special interests?
  6. At what expense will the government achieve its economies of scale (the crowding out effect). What is the opportunity cost (central planning is the opposite of rational economic calculation)?

This assertion is so vague that it's essentially meaningless. It's really not an argument. Simply put, if a large capital intensive firm with significant market dominance was truly the optimal structure of that industry, then the private sector would take care of it (because it's profitable to do so).

You hear this type of crap a lot from clueless undergraduate economics majors. They use concepts that they don't understand and ignore all relevant variables. (They may say, for example, that "firms are inefficient because of agency costs and asymmetric information").

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 145

Thanks for the replies.  Some of them, I can anticipate his answer, and some of them I have never thought of.

1.  He would say that the programs are warranted because the infrastructure in this country is in a dangerous state of disrepair and the old Keynesian argument that having the government do them, or at least contract a private firm to do it (with all the bureaucratic red tape of making sure the firm is unionized and meet EEOC and OSHA standards, yadda, yadda), means that jobs will be created, putting money in consumers' hands that they will then spend.  I don't buy it, but after years of having this same argument, he is not moving.

2.  This is a good point.  We did not address that.

3.  Another great point, and the profit motive and competition would keep those firms motivated to keep the costs down.

4.  We have talked about innovation in general before, and he maintains that it is government ventures, such as NASA and military R&D, have led to most of the innovation of the last century.  His favorite fallback is the development of the Internet, which he says spawned from a government project.  I think these innovations were going to happen without government intervention, but it is difficult to argue what WOULD have happened.  Similarly, I cannot convince him that the world would not have ended without the bank bailouts.

5.  This is probably the strongest argument.  There are no cost controls in government spending.

6.  I have often frustrated his arguments by pointing out that there are finite resources, thus requiring each individual to choose between mutually exclusive goals, and that the choice of one necessarily results in the lost opportunity of the other.  He says I am contradicting myself because I also say that economics is not a zero-sum game when talking about taxes and wealth redistribution (although his arguments seem to imply that there are infinite resources and yet that economics IS a zero-sum game).  It is this kind of illogical obfusaction and trying to untangle it all that usually ends with me just throwing my hands in the air and simply declaring: "You don't get it."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:58 AM

RockAFellerX:
1.  He would say that the programs are warranted because the infrastructure in this country is in a dangerous state of disrepair and the old Keynesian argument that having the government do them, or at least contract a private firm to do it (with all the bureaucratic red tape of making sure the firm is unionized and meet EEOC and OSHA standards, yadda, yadda), means that jobs will be created, putting money in consumers' hands that they will then spend.  I don't buy it, but after years of having this same argument, he is not moving.
"Putting money in consumers hands" does not increase the aggregate purchasing power of the market. It only redistributes existing purchasing power. Purchasing power can only be created by increasing the productivity of workers.

RockAFellerX:
4.  We have talked about innovation in general before, and he maintains that it is government ventures, such as NASA and military R&D, have led to most of the innovation of the last century.  His favorite fallback is the development of the Internet, which he says spawned from a government project.  I think these innovations were going to happen without government intervention, but it is difficult to argue what WOULD have happened.  Similarly, I cannot convince him that the world would not have ended without the bank bailouts.
The government just piggy backed on all these private internet projects that were already in the works. Government involvement would have been completely unnecessary if telecom companies didn't have a monopoly on their service. I.e. if a firm cound just enter the market and provide "internet" through telephone lines, it would have been invented very easily. The internet is essentially telephone for computers with some encryption. Its not much to brag about.

But even if you don't buy that, if the government takes 40% of our income, they should be responsible for the vast majority of investment and innovation. If I have $1000, I spend the first 600 on rent and food. If the government takes the rest, I got nothing else to invest in...

RockAFellerX:
I have often frustrated his arguments by pointing out that there are finite resources, thus requiring each individual to choose between mutually exclusive goals, and that the choice of one necessarily results in the lost opportunity of the other.  He says I am contradicting myself because I also say that economics is not a zero-sum game when talking about taxes and wealth redistribution (although his arguments seem to imply that there are infinite resources and yet that economics IS a zero-sum game).  It is this kind of illogical obfusaction and trying to untangle it all that usually ends with me just throwing my hands in the air and simply declaring: "You don't get it."
Economics is not a zero sum game in the value sense. Although at any given time there is a fixed amount of resources, the price system incentivizes conservation AND increased production of resources. So if I start buying a bunch of paper, setting it on fire, and depriving everyone else of that use, I bid up the price of paper ever so slightly and cause more paper to be produced, more trees to be planted, etc.

Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

Badass answer, Esuric.

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

Top 100 Contributor
Male
853 Posts
Points 17,830

He said it was far more efficient for the government to administrate many projects than for many smaller entities to administrate one project a piece because of the "economies of scale."

If this is true then free market firms will administer multiple projects.  There is no need for a government.

For example, if it's true that defense is a service most efficiently provided by one firm for 300 million people, taking care of all the various aspects of defense internally, because of "economies of scale", then such a big firm would outcompete smaller or more specialized firms.  (Of course, we have no way of knowing if this is true or not, because economic calculation is impossible without free markets.  We need to get rid of the monopoly in order to discover the most efficient ways of doing things.)

Firms can be just as large-scale as governments can be.  The only difference between a government and a firm is the use of aggression to obtain funds.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS