Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Job and economics

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee Posted: Mon, Nov 22 2010 4:48 PM

I just got a job as an assistant plant manager for a chemical manufacturing plant.  Is there any specific economic literature that would be of assistance? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 5,160

Economics is pretty useless to business.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 5:10 PM

It's better to know about the job itself (in your case chemical manufacturing) than the economics of how that plant runs.  If you want to read anything become an encyclopedia of information on every detail of that plants operations.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 5:23 PM

That's the plan.  Thanks.  I'd figure I'd ask if an economic model can be adopted at that level.  But what you all say make sense.  I recall reading an article about the great depression iirc that gave the conclusion that knowing the business allows the business to make better decisions than some central planned economist. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370
abskebabs replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 5:26 PM

I actually think the useful influence might run the other way round, from the job to your understanding of economics, making you get a better understanding than many armchair, professional economists. I already feel my job has benefited me this way, and yours might as well, especialy with regard to the Law of Returns. Aside of that, I can't really think of anything else right now.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS