Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

the ancap society of the chilean miners

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 105
mclean Posted: Tue, Nov 2 2010 12:09 AM

I watched some of the Discovery Channel's  special on the Chilean miners' rescue.  I didn't catch all of what they said on the subject, but apparantly they rationed food, water to maximize use according to consumer need and used some sort of conflict resolution sceme that involved community participation and some sort of "time out" (ostracim?).  Did anyone else catch this?

Of course, the miners weren't able to secede. (Or were they? hmm) But in any case, there was maximization of scarce resources and no all against all war (sorry Hobbes).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 12:21 AM

Capitalism saved the Miners - Mises Blog

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495

Not to mention the role natural elites played in maintaining order, the one miner who was the eldest and had some medical training pretty much became their leader.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 105
mclean replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 9:45 AM

I think this subject has alot of potential if we just knew more about it.  Be on the look out for info...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 105
mclean replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 10:05 AM

That thread seemed to address a different subject, namely who gets credit for the rescue. Some thoughts:

1.  Cooperation of governments in the rescue is exactly analogous to cooperation of the miners.  Neither relationship involves coercion.  Both interactions present examples of anarchy working harmoniously.  

2.  You can't compare the performance of the private sector with limited resources to the performance of government with unlimited resources, and you can't calculate oportunity cost. 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:01 AM

Stranger:

Not to mention the role natural elites played in maintaining order, the one miner who was the eldest and had some medical training pretty much became their leader.

this is exactly like in this tv show LOST!!!!

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:07 AM

Stranger:

this is exactly like in this tv show LOST!!!!

Except that the series finale didn't suck.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 12:27 PM

Haha, Joe. I agree he finale was awful.  Actually I'd say the last 2 seasons were pretty rough in general.

That's how I saw the situation.  It was just humanity working together to secure people in harm.  No coercion necessary and the people with the means to save them did so.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS