Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

American Gestapo Seize "Dangerous" URLs

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 Posted: Sat, Nov 27 2010 8:39 PM

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government-seizes-bittorrent-search-engine-domain-and-more-101126/

Discuss. frown

On the comment thread, I rather liked this take:

It’s funny how the US always parades freedom like it’s a bloody cult, and then they pass legislation that’s the opposite of freedom.

This is starting to look like a regime in it’s prime.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 4,320
Player replied on Sat, Nov 27 2010 9:30 PM

Maybe a bit off-topic, but, why Gestapo? The Soviet were much worse at civil rights, even the anglo-americans had and still have their own gestapo, check Lincoln during the civil war, check churchill during Churchill war where he detained almost 2000 without charges for years, the americans too, and today the creators of anti-terrorism legislators are the americans. It should be more correct to use "Federal" as in federal government or MIX. We shouldn't fall in a propaganda trap. If you use Gestapo I can remind you that it was the Americans and British who financed and helped Stalin and the Bolcheviks against half Europe, which they betrayed. I'm tired of people using gestapo, nazis everywhere, used it only in history please, and when you have researched it! Don't mock it by over-using words like that!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Sat, Nov 27 2010 10:16 PM

Well.....Alright then.  I guess I won't do that.  "Gestapo" is just a euphemism for something being totalitarian.  I'm sure all of us at Mises are well aware of America's past totalitarianism as well.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS